Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian Christmas starter ideas

(14 Posts)
Weedsnseeds1 Sat 26-Nov-16 10:56:44

All out of inspiration this year.
Guest 1 is a sort of vegetarian. Will eat burgers but no other meat or fish. Doesn't really like cheese.
Guest 2 refuses to eat lamb, fish, shellfish, molluscs, melon, apple, plums, mango, tomato, goats cheese, strawberries, cinnamon, onions, any part of a bird other than the breast, anything with a bone in and probably a few other things I have forgotten about.
Mother will throw a dramatic hissy fit if there is fruit (I'll save this for pudding, go and get me a plate, have you got a spare starter, the fig has touched this one...) Or nuts (It's got nuts, which I don't like).
DP and I will eat anything.
In the past have done stuffed mushrooms, spiced potato koftas, deep fried duck egg with asparagus spears.
Don't really want to do soup as it doesn't feel festive enough to me.
Main course veggie suggestions also helpful. Have a few ideas, but must also meet guest 2 list of demands as it's "not fair" if guest 1 has something special but she can't (won't) eat that in addition to whatever meat I serve.
Any ideas?
I am not cooking burgers for Christmas in case anyone suggests that!

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 26-Nov-16 14:00:11

Bloody hell! Guest 2 sounds a hard work! Are onions out in any form? Would they eat around them or is anything with onion out? If they would pick them out this Mushroom panzanella salad might fit the brief.
With regards to the not really liking cheese is that all cheese? Could you get away with cheese in any thing? A tart with mozerella or feta for example.

TroysMammy Sat 26-Nov-16 14:02:24

I'd tell them to bring their own for you to cook.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 26-Nov-16 14:25:04

Mushroom pate on toast?

BIWI Sat 26-Nov-16 14:32:48

I'd not invite them ever again!!!

How about doing a soup with a puff pastry lid? That's a bit more unusual/special (and you could decorate it with festive holly-shaped pieces of pastry grin)

Following on from the pastry thought, how about mushroom wellington for a main? You could make individual ones too.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 26-Nov-16 14:35:02

Thank you. To be honest if I put any of the banned substances in a dish where you couldn't see pieces, then just lied about it, I doubt it would be noticed! Have found a recipe for faux gras, made from lentils, cognac, walnuts and mushrooms. How does that sound?

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 26-Nov-16 14:36:49

Like the soup Idea as a starter. Did mushroom Wellington as veggie main last year though!

NicknameUsed Sat 26-Nov-16 14:43:52

Guest 2 sounds a nightmare. Are there any intolerances/allergies or is it just childish fussiness?

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 26-Nov-16 14:56:31

No, just fussy. "Vegetarian" is fairly easy. It's all the other restrictions that make it hard!

Heratnumber7 Sat 26-Nov-16 15:14:14

I'd do some sort of sharing platter or two and ask everyone to bring a platter that suits them.

DixieWishbone Sat 26-Nov-16 15:19:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 26-Nov-16 16:54:48

Those kievs look great Dixie , main course sorted I think. Have just ordered a suckling pig at the butcher, so that's the meat sorted ( not sure what constitutes breast meat on a piglet, but I'll cross that hurdle when I come to it)!

OnyK Sun 27-Nov-16 10:36:58

I'm doing breaded camembert with a port and cranberry sauce, followed by mushroom strudel for main.

pieceofpurplesky Sun 27-Nov-16 10:41:11

Why not do a hors d'oeuvre style starter - mini burger and bits that will suit everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now