Talk

Advanced search

New Years Dinner for 16 (9 adults / 7 children)

(17 Posts)
eightytwenty Sun 20-Nov-16 23:31:40

What to cook for that number of mouths? Will have to be in 2 sittings as can't sit more than 12 round the table. One meal kept warm / different meals for the children v adults? Kids ages 3-12.

Blondie1984 Sun 20-Nov-16 23:56:38

It is going to be quite a relaxed, laid back affair or...?
If it's going to be laid back then I would go for something like stew - something you can prepare ahead and will quite happily be reheated or kept warm.
I would serve it with mashed potato, some puff pastry stars, tenderstem or normal broccoli and lots of bread for mopping up gravy

eightytwenty Mon 21-Nov-16 07:19:33

Not formal. But we have family staying for a number of nights so will be feeding 11 for 3 dinners. Have already made a beef casserole for one of those nights.

ishouldcocoa Mon 21-Nov-16 07:29:08

I always think that stuff served in portions makes life easier when you have a lot of mouths to feed. Preferably something you can freeze ahead!

Why not something like salmon and pesto wrapped in filo - maybe made to look like a cracker? You could change the fillings for the kids. They should not take long to cook.

Or maybe a couple of pies with pastry decorations on top?

I'd do peas and new potatoes for the kids, and maybe new pots and a kind of Mediterranean ratatouille for the adults, which can also sit in the oven.

Chocolate pots for everyone, maybe with something boozy for the adults.

And Schloer. Definitely Schloer for the kids to drink grin

eightytwenty Mon 21-Nov-16 08:26:23

There's a drink from the past. Never made pies or parcels in advance. Do they not go soggy? Our butcher sells frozen steak pies but the pastry is not touching the meet.

We have an Aga so slow cooked something also an option. Saw a suggestion for lamb with flat breads which appeals if not very British / new yeary.

lastqueenofscotland Mon 21-Nov-16 13:02:26

I'd go for something it's really easy to make in bulk
Risotto
Curry
Chilli
Pies
Etc

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 21-Nov-16 13:28:00

Do you know how the kids eat? I.e. Are they fussy. If not I'd go for a one pot that will keep warm and do the same for everyone. However, if they are fussy I'd probably serve something fairly kid proof first (maybe toad in the hole with mash or roasties, peas and onion gravy) then cater for the adults later. I really like fish by new year, I'm usually fed up of meat!

NickyEds Mon 21-Nov-16 16:36:05

Massive pan of chilli, jacket spuds in the oven, bowls of guacamole, soured cream, tortilla chips and grated cheese- everyone can have a jacket and chilli or make their own nachos.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 21-Nov-16 16:39:41

As you have to do two sittings,mI'd pre make lasagnes and freeze. Feed the kids in the first sitting.

Then serve the adults either the same, or coq au vin or something stew like in a second sitting.

Then the adults can linger while the kids play.

ishouldcocoa Mon 21-Nov-16 19:01:29

No - the pies don't go soggy at all.

Even better if you pre heat a baking tray in the bottom of the roasting oven first.

eightytwenty Mon 21-Nov-16 23:35:27

Good suggestions will almost certainly do a chilli or lasagne for one meal.

Kids are quite fussy - generally prefer plain food.

Also debating a massive ham, baked pots, red cabbage, parsley sauce. Easy to carve in stages and not difficult to cook.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 26-Nov-16 11:11:44

I'd go for the ham option. Leftovers are delicious and gives you option of a cold buffet type meal the following day.

eightytwenty Thu 01-Dec-16 23:38:06

Ham ordered!

Sunflowersmiling Fri 02-Dec-16 06:17:36

Hi...forgive my daft question...(20 years a veggie) but what do you ask butchers for if you want to cook a ham? Just a ham? Or is it specific cut/type?
I would like to try this for a big dinner party this Christmas.

eightytwenty Sun 04-Dec-16 07:28:24

Just ask for a gammon (unsmoked) for X people. Then you can either soak it overnight in water (I don't) or just cook it. I have an Aga but plenty of recipes for how to cook one online. Good luck.

walruswhiskers Sun 04-Dec-16 07:37:56

I'm feeding loads on NYE. I'll do a pizza bar for the kids - several different pizzas, garlic bread, salady bits etc. Then Malaysian curry for adults, with sticky rice and prawn crackers. The curry can be made ahead - in fact it's better that way - then reheated so the adults' food is all stove top stuff.

Sunflowersmiling Mon 05-Dec-16 07:32:23

Thank you eightytwenty! :-D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now