Pre-Christmas meal

(6 Posts)
Normandy144 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:11:04

I'm hosting a festive meal the weekend before Christmas for my family, as we are going away for Christmas with the in laws and won't be seeing them. 6 adults (1 pregnant and one that doesn't like fish), and two kids who are good eaters. Just trying to figure out my menu.

I don't want to do the traditional turkey or roast beef as we'll be eating either/or on Christmas Day wherever we are spending it, but can't decide between an alternative roast (stuffed pork loin?) or a wintery casserole. I'm veering towards casserole as it requires less attention, and I'll be busy packing for our trip etc. So it needs to be impressive and festive with not masses of effort. I'm a capable cook.

Any suggestions?

Highlove Tue 15-Nov-16 14:32:01

For about the millionth time on this forum, I shsll recommend slow roast pork shoulder - up to 24 hours. It's really delicious, good value and requires almost no attention.

FawnDrench Tue 15-Nov-16 14:49:08

How about boeuf bourguignon? You can make this as a quite complicated dish, or do a much easier version!
There are loads of recipes online - Delia's version is good; and previous threads on here with some recommendations I seem to remember.

With roasted winter veg, or a selection of green veg or whatever as an accompaniment.

Then lemon posset or some make-ahead dessert which is quite light.

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 15-Nov-16 16:50:00

A Pork tenderloin casserole with shallots and apples cooked in cider. It's delicious and can be prepped in advance and left to do its thing in the oven. Goes with most things, I tend to opt for green veg and mash or roasties. Not sure if it's festive but good comforting winter food.

Normandy144 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:46:43

Thanks for the suggestions. They sound delicious. I'm intrigued by the slow cooked pork and can see a few recipes for 24 hour pork. Nigella's recipe calls for a low oven temperature so I'm assuming that would be 140 degrees in a fan oven?

Highlove Tue 15-Nov-16 21:17:29

I always follow Hugh F-W's recipe for 24 hour pork. Google 'whole shoulder Donnie Brasco. I don't always use the spice rub he suggest, but do follow his timings and temp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now