Talk

Advanced search

Boneless chicken thighs - ideas please !!

(20 Posts)
TeddyBear7 Tue 15-Nov-16 09:14:37

Hi there - staring at fridge, bereft of inspiration. Looking at pack of boneless chicken thighs. Have onions and can pop out for other ingredients. But need an idea for something interesting other than tomato based sauce or curry. Family bored and fed up. Any ideas??? Grateful for any help as am not terribly confident or imaginative in the kitchen grin

GinSolvesEverything Tue 15-Nov-16 09:27:05

Cut them into long strips, thread on to skewers and cost with a teriyaki marinade? Either pan fry or oven bake and serve with rice and salad/veg.

Or cut into bite size thin strips, coat in egg wash and then panko crumbs for instant home made nuggets. Pan fry these for a few mins each side.

Chicken and mushroom risotto?

SoupDragon Tue 15-Nov-16 09:30:18

I shove them in the oven with pancetta cubes, onions, garlic stock etc, cover and roast for however long it takes to cook, removing cover near the end. Use all the stock to make gravy, serve like a roast.

Raaaaaah Tue 15-Nov-16 09:31:24

Fay Ripley's ginger and orange chicken. Easy Peasy. I serve with brown rice and broccoli.

EnidColeslaw771 Tue 15-Nov-16 09:31:26

You coukd make chicken thighs and green lentils, or chicken stew with dumplings or chicken hot pot would be nice at this time of year. So much nicer than chicken breast.

BratFarrarsPony Tue 15-Nov-16 09:38:10

Hammer them out flat and thin, dip in flour, eggs and breadcrumbs (maybe a little parmesan in the crumbs).
Deep shallow fry...
there you go, schnitzels.

TeddyBear7 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:51:51

Thank you all so much! flowersThese all sound yummy! I normally have the trauma of dealing with chicken thighs about once a week so now I have plenty of ideas to keep me going grinWhere would I find the Fay Ripley recipe? R

princessconsuelabannahammock Tue 15-Nov-16 10:54:39

Try gok wans honey and soy glazed chicken. Delicious easy and tasty.

Raaaaaah Tue 15-Nov-16 11:44:15

Fay ripley recipe is online I think. Basically marinade the chicken in grated ginger, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 crushed garlic cloves and zest of one orange. Leave in fridge for an hour or so if you have time. Fry off an onion and a few carrots, add chicken and marinade. Brown it then add stock and juice of two oranges and stuff in the oven.

Raaaaaah Tue 15-Nov-16 11:44:41

Ooh and add olive oil to marinade.

nilbyname Tue 15-Nov-16 11:50:59

Cover in Lemon and lime zest, season and a bit of oil, bash flat and fry off on a griddle pan. Serve with rice/cous cous/quinoa and any green veg you like. My kids LOVE THIS. We also sprinkle on coriander and some seasame seeds to finish.

LBOCS2 Tue 15-Nov-16 11:54:42

I know you said no curry but there's an amazingly good peanut curry on the BBC good food website which is more Thai in flavour and is apparently DH's new favourite dish ever. So I'd have a look at that.

Alternatively, cut them into strips, glaze with honey and balsamic and pan fry. Yum.

Thatwaslulu Tue 15-Nov-16 12:00:04

Coconut rundown: soften a chopped onion, chopped yellow pepper, grated thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, a small chopped red chilli and 2 cloves of garlic in some coconut oil. Add the chicken thighs (sliced into strips) and brown. Add a tbsp of smoked paprika, sliced mushrooms and tomato puree and cook for 2 mins. Add a tin of tomatoes and tin of coconut milk. Simmer down until the sauce has thickened and serve with coconut rice.

BiddyPop Tue 15-Nov-16 12:01:15

Pop some feta cheese and a decent pinch of thyme leaves under the skin, season and drizzle tiny bit olive oil over the top.

Roast for 40 minutes, roast baby potatoes alongside (may need to halve them for speed), add cherry tomatoes for the last 10 minutes of roasting or instead do a dish of mixed medditeranean roasted veggies for 25-40 mins (depending on size of the dice you cut).

whattodowiththepoo Tue 15-Nov-16 12:01:43

Mix up some garlic and parsley and rub in to the cut side then wrap them in Parma ham, brown them then pop them on a bed of wilted cabbage and bake for an hour.

Doje Tue 15-Nov-16 12:06:19

Coat them in yoghurt, tbsp tomato puree, tsp paprika and marinate (best overnight).

Thread onto skewers. Use two skewers so they're spread out IYSWIM, then grill on each side 8-10 mins, there should be some charred bits.

Serve in a pitta pocket with salad.

Doje Tue 15-Nov-16 12:09:59

Oooh, LBOC, that curry recipe sounds good. I've just found it and bookmarked it for later in the week.

GeorgiePeachie Tue 15-Nov-16 12:11:13

Buy Plums.

Roast salted and peppered thighs in a tray with a little oil for 15 mins on each side.
Add garlic and ginger in slices (can be roughly chopped). sprinkle a little flaked chilly.
Turn the thighs every fifteen mins to spread the flavours about.
Half the plums and remove the stones then settle the plum halves around the thighs skin down.
Roast until the plums are starting to soften.
Drizzle the lot with soy sauce! LOTS OF.
Keep roasting until the sauce bubbles and thickens slightly. Remember to get the soy on the plums too.

Serve over plain rice.

tb Tue 15-Nov-16 16:20:55

Tandoori? Possibly with some dahl

FormerlyCatherineDeB Tue 15-Nov-16 16:29:13

I made a one pot thing up with thighs years ago and we now have it whenever I buy them.

In a deep roasting tray, new potatoes halved, tin or two of butter beans, ½ lb cherry tomatoes, garlic and rosemary. About ¼ pint of stock. Then stuff the thighs with breadcrumbs mixed with butter and rosemary and place on top - cook in a medium oven, sometimes I need to add more stock.

If the thighs are skinned I add bacon or parma ham or whatever I have for in the fridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now