Talk

Advanced search

Which of these ingredients should I use to make a vegetable curry help!!!

(17 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 08-Nov-16 12:02:37

I've never made a curry before so I am compltely clueless an out herbs and spices. I have some pumpkin and veg that needs using and I've brought some spinach to add to the mix.
The thing is I'm confused about whether I just curry powder or other spices. In my cupboard I have tinned tomatoes and purée,mild curry powder, ground comeric and cumin, Garam masala, paparika, Chinese spice, ground ginger and cinemon and hot chilli powder.
Should I just use the curry powder or do I add the other spices and how much??
I have veg stock cubes too and single cream if that helps.
Any advice greatly received.

OdinsLoveChild Tue 08-Nov-16 12:04:54

love Hairy Bikers recipes. Theyre really lovely.
www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/aloo-gobi#6il03KKfDWpSjBYx.97

sleepyhead Tue 08-Nov-16 12:08:39

This tomato curry from Nigella Lawson is delicious.

I've used the basic proportions of the different spices in the recipe and added veg/beans like cauliflower, potato, butternut squash, butterbeans or chickpeas to bulk it out a bit. I've also got away with using a tin of chopped tomatoes instead of the cherry tomatoes which makes it cheaper and gives you more of a sauce.

QueenJuggler Tue 08-Nov-16 12:28:25

Go and buy some ground coriander and some black mustard seeds, along with coriander seeds. 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp chilli powder (adjust depending on how hot you like it), 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp coriander seeds. Fry onion and garlic in oil until soft, add spices and seeds and cook for a minute, add vegetables, salt and pepper, plus a little bit of water if you haven't used very liquify chopped tomatoes, and cook until ready.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Tue 08-Nov-16 12:43:14

How specific are you looking for here? I like to chuck a whole lot of all sorts in a curry - no real plan to it - but there are a few rules given what you have above. Namely:

DO NOT use the paprika, Chinese spice or cinnamon (cinnamon is more for North African curries and tough to get right). Also don't use the tomato puree (maybe some people do but I think the sweet tomato-ey-ness of it is all kinds of wrong in curry).

Everything else, go for it. As long as the spices are cooked out (add them to the pan when you've fried the onion for a bit as described by pp) you can't go much wrong. I'd use the tinned tomatoes and water, wouldn't bother with stock (the spices will do enough for flavour if you're fairly generous with them) and you can always stir cream in at the end if you've been a bit heavy handed with the chilli. Good luck!

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 08-Nov-16 13:39:53

Ok I like to experiement but I've never used some of these spices before so not sure how mush to add as dh doesn't like it hot lol

QueenJuggler Tue 08-Nov-16 13:51:32

The only thing that will add heat is the chilli powder. The rest is just for flavour. So if he doesn't like hot curries, drop the quantity above down to 1/4 tsp.

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 08-Nov-16 13:58:00

Thankyou :-)

QueenJuggler Tue 08-Nov-16 14:24:52

Oh, and don't add all your vegetables at once. Some of them (e.g. potatoes, carrots, butter beans, pumpkin) will take longer to cook, others (e.g. courgettes, tomatoes) take less time. So add in batches. What vegetables have you got? IME, some curry really well. Others, not so much.

Chuck some fresh coriander on top before serving, and have some lemon wedges for some zing and some yoghurt in case its too hot on the side. Delicious dinner.

You've made me want a vegetable curry really badly.

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 08-Nov-16 16:30:04

Haha sorry. I have pumpkin, carrots, swede and potato, spinach, onion, I have leeks but not sure about that

FaFoutis Tue 08-Nov-16 16:32:16

Leave the swede out. Not leeks either.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Tue 08-Nov-16 16:39:04

I'd curry the swede grin

SealSong Tue 08-Nov-16 16:48:06

Don't use the chinese five spice...that is for chinese food recipes and will taste really out of place in a curry!

I'd keep it simple if you're not used to using curry spices.
Start with sauteing chopped onion and garlic (don't let it brown), add half to one teaspoon curry powder, quarter teaspoon turmeric, quarter tsp cumin, cook spices gently for a minute (don't let them burn), add cubed veg, stir and gently saute for a few minutes, add liquid such as tinned toms, some veg stock, simmer until veg is just cooked through. Take off the heat and taste....check the seasoning - add salt and pepper if needed. Add half to one tsp garam masala and cook for a further minute or two. Add a glug of cream at the end if desired and stir through. Serve and enjoy!

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 08-Nov-16 17:49:15

Thanks seal I've stuck it all in the pan smells lovely

QueenJuggler Tue 08-Nov-16 18:32:29

How did it taste? I changed the menu plan for tonight to make us a curry after this thread!

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 08-Nov-16 20:46:14

It was lovely I followed yours and seals advice and had a little taste before and just tweaked it by adding a bit more Garam masala and chilli powder to give it a kick.

SealSong Wed 09-Nov-16 21:02:15

Ah nice one. There ya go, you're a dab hand at veggie curry now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now