Talk

Advanced search

Left over pork?

(11 Posts)
anonymousbird Tue 08-Nov-16 11:43:33

I have a good quantity (enough for two people at least) left over shoulder of pork. DH is sceptical that it will be any good second time around, and I'm not sure what to do with it so that it isn't just a dry lump so grateful for any suggestions please!

I know we could do hog roast style buns etc, but looking for more of a "meal" than that....

OdinsLoveChild Tue 08-Nov-16 12:05:56

I usually do stir fry with left over pork or devilled pork which is a spicy pork casserole.

anonymousbird Tue 08-Nov-16 12:11:28

Thank you Odins. Does stir fry work with the shoulder meat? It's fairly shredded rather than in slices/lumps IYSWIM. Worried I might dry it out too much....

Do fancy something with rice, have to say though.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 08-Nov-16 12:13:49

Shred it, drown it in BBQ sauce in the slow cooker and cook on low for a small long as possible. Then serve in buns with chunky coleslaw and corn on the cob

NattyTile Tue 08-Nov-16 12:15:35

If you want rice based, I'd do pork stir fry (yes shredded will be fine; cook everything else first and toss it in right at the end). Or risotto - onion, peppers, whatever, rice, stock, wine, and add in the pork at the end.

PickAChew Tue 08-Nov-16 12:16:48

It's nice in a garlicky tomatoey pasta sauce.

The shoulder can be treated just like duck in stir fries etc as it has a similar richness. Great with hoisin sauce!

80sWaistcoat Tue 08-Nov-16 12:18:22

I'd use it in stirfry - but cook it quickly on a very high heat so it goes a bit caramalised but not dried out. With some cashews in to add a bit of contrast.

Or cook up a really tasty tomato based sauce with veg and spices (all spice would be good) and some tinned chickpeas or black beans and then just stir through the pork at the end to heat it through. Eat with rice.

Or soup....again just add at the end of the cooking to heat through. A kind of pho with pork stirred through would be lovely.

80sWaistcoat Tue 08-Nov-16 12:18:51

Oh and keep some back to have in egg fried rice....really nice.

haggisaggis Tue 08-Nov-16 12:20:20

Shred it and stir fry with garlic, soy sauce, a little chilli and grated ginger. Serve either with lettuce wraps or normal ones with hoisin sauce.

OhNoNotMyBaby Tue 08-Nov-16 12:21:00

Pie every time! pulse it in the food mixer a bit, add anything you want (apples & chestnuts or apricots and ginger or peas & mushrooms etc etc).

as long as long as lots of sauce/gravy is available on the side.

anonymousbird Tue 08-Nov-16 12:58:54

Wow! Thanks everyone, lots to go on here. I do have a rice craving for some reason so this time, I think it's going to be shredded and stir fried (have a cold so need the punchy / spicy flavours appeal I think!) but love the idea of making into a sauce for pasta and so on... next time.

In the meantime I also found a delicious sounding pulled pork hash with cabbage dish too.....

www.lovepork.co.uk/recipes/pulled-pork-hash/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now