Talk

Advanced search

Pre-Christmas meal for immediate family

(7 Posts)
Normandy144 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:15:27

This year we are going away to spend Christmas with DP's family overseas, so we are hosting a "Christmas" meal a week earlier on the 18th for my parents, sister & partner and our two kids. In total it's 6 adults, 1 X 3 yr old and a 10 month old (who frankly will not give a shit).

I want to serve a roast style main course as opposed to serving a casserole or chilli etc. So looking for suggestions. Happy to order meat from a butcher etc. We have no dietary reqs or particular dislikes but don't want anything too complicated.

I'm leaning towards a stuffed pork loin but not sure.....

Bluntness100 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:16:22

Why don't you do Xmas dinner?

Normandy144 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:18:05

I don't want to do a turkey Xmas dinner because we will have one a week later at my partners parents house as will my parents and sister. So I would rather do something different.

homeaway Sun 06-Nov-16 21:22:16

Do a honey roasted gammon or ham. . You boil it and then finish in the oven. .

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 06-Nov-16 21:23:53

How about a beef wellington? Could still serve with usual roast sides.

Sharknado Mon 07-Nov-16 17:29:20

Hi OP - We tend to be in the same boat as you each year as we take turns with each set of parents.

Our favourite recipe so far has been this: www.thedailymeal.com/recipes/party-poussins-festive-couscous-recipe

Have cooked it a few times and it always goes down a storm - Its really easy and quick but looks festive and generous as everyone gets their own bird.

Another vote for Ham as well. I tend to do a great big jug of parsley sauce to serve with it. grin

Dogolphin Mon 07-Nov-16 20:04:52

Stuffed pork, gravy, mashed potatoes, roast parsnips, red cabbage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now