Toddler birthday cake

(8 Posts)
goodbeans Sun 06-Nov-16 10:23:48

DS will be turning 2 and I would like to make a cake for him to have at nursery (birthday cakes are apparently not expected but are welcome nonetheless). His classmates are between 12 and 30 months in age so I am conscious that some may not have been given cake before, and don't want to upset any other parents. I'm looking for a recipe that fits the bill for a birthday cake but is relatively wholesome and low in sugar (and doesn't contain nuts!) Can anyone suggest something suitable? Thanks!

RunningHurts Sun 06-Nov-16 10:24:45

Banana cake (can still be tasty with no added sugar)

PurpleDaisies Sun 06-Nov-16 10:25:43

Just make a normal Victoria sponge. Having cake on someone's birthday won't make all the children catch obesity.

Mrscog Sun 06-Nov-16 10:26:41

I would just send something convenient for you - if you send homemade then it will get sent home for the parents to decide if they want to allow it anyway. When my DS was 1 I went to the trouble of doing a wholesome homemade low sugar cake only for the nursery staff to tell me they could only serve bought cakes in nursery and they would send a slice home with each child. I wish I'd just sent the Colin Caterpillar and saved my time!!

Robinkitty Sun 06-Nov-16 10:26:48

What about a large batch of cupcakes, save nursery staff having to cut up a big cake.

SoftSheen Sun 06-Nov-16 10:31:47

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

bookbook Sun 06-Nov-16 16:14:49

Something easy to handle and portion up perhaps as they are young
My DGS ( and everyone else!) loves this, but it is a tray bake
chocolate courgette cake

goodbeans Sun 06-Nov-16 18:21:18

Thanks all! Something with a fruit/veg component sounds great. As far as I know they eat the cake during their snack-break rather than taking it home, so I'll make sure it's easy to handle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now