Advanced search

Cake insulator for making fruitcakes

(16 Posts)
Toadinthehole Fri 04-Nov-16 19:57:10

A bit of an odd request.

Could someone give me instructions on how to make one?

Basically, I used to have an insulating device made from folded up newspaper with silver foil on the outside. When I made a fruitcake or other rich cake (e.g. madeira) I wrapped this round the outside with some baking paper on top of the tin. The result was that my cakes were always nice and moist.

The problem is that it's now vanished, and as I made it some years ago I can't remember how to do it any more! There was a knack to the method of getting the silver foil to stay put.

I've just made a fruitcake without it and it looks like a lump of coal. sad

Does anyone know how to do it, or know whether I could buy something like it?

MarklahMarklah Fri 04-Nov-16 20:03:37

I believe you can buy them - possibly from Lakeland. They're marketed as being useful for achieving cakes that are 'level' and 'even'.
I haven't made a fruit cake in years. Last time I made a madeira I had the oven on a lower temperature than the recipe stated, and cooked the cake a little longer. If I have cakes that are starting to brown more than I'd like, I just bung a lump of foil over the top.

poxyproxy Fri 04-Nov-16 20:06:13

Watching with interest, I make a messy parcel with baking paper and string but I'd happily buy a proper one.

SweetChickadee Fri 04-Nov-16 20:09:44

I use brown paper round the outside of the tin- stapled together is easier than string

then double baking parchment on top of cake with a 50p sized hole in middle

Delia told me to grin

QuackDuckQuack Fri 04-Nov-16 22:08:53

We use these successfully. I am not sure if you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 07-Nov-16 09:09:49

My mother has a small roll of corrugated cardboard that she uses. Just ties it on with some string.

DrSeuss Mon 07-Nov-16 09:11:20

My late mother just used cereal packets and string.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Mon 07-Nov-16 09:14:58

I use a folded tea towel tied with string. Off to look at the link.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Mon 07-Nov-16 09:18:30

Interesting. I also make messy parcels but with newspaper (because I'm too tight to buy brown paper) but something reusable could be good.

I wonder if I could make something that can be resized for different tins as I make a variety of sizes of Christmas cake.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 07-Nov-16 09:20:02

I use folded newspaper and string.

It's just there for insulation.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Mon 07-Nov-16 10:28:31

I don't think I would pay £17 tight. Sometimes I use a wrung out wet tea towel depending on what it is and how long it is in there for. Seems to work well enough. I think I must have got the idea from my Mum although I don't remember it tbh.

VeryPunny Mon 07-Nov-16 10:29:20

I just use folded up newspaper and string.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 07-Nov-16 10:43:25

we used to sit the christmas cake on a damp Radio Times....that smell of hot burny but damp paper whips me right back to my childhood.

QuackDuckQuack Mon 07-Nov-16 18:41:40

I'm not convinced that we paid £17 for those. But you could definitely make them yourself. They are effective a strip of quilted material with a loop that you thread the other end through and tighten up to the size of your tin. You then soak it in water before using it.

tb Mon 07-Nov-16 21:02:08

Corrugated paper - perhaps double thickness tied around with string? DM always used this for the Christmas cake.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Mon 07-Nov-16 22:11:03

I was just ordering a mincer for my kenwood and look what popped up on the 'people who bought this usually buy this' thing

a Cake Belt whoever knew such a thing existed ... cake belt shock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now