Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Eve Roast question

(9 Posts)
BooLicious Tue 01-Nov-16 15:10:44

Mumma’s, I need some advice regarding my Christmas Eve Roast. Normally we have loads of friends/family round and have a table full of 3 or 4 different meats, veggies galore, desserts etc... not to mention the starters. This year it’s just myself, hubbie, 2yr DD, my parents and MIL.

I would like to create a relaxing evening/experience for them (--and us I guess--). Things like: when they arrive we hand them a glass of bubbly, bring out canapés while they’re playing with DD, open DD’s Christmas eve box while we’re all chilling... As opposed to me being in the kitchen with pots steaming, heat from the oven, everybody (including DD) standing in the kitchen etc... Ideally I would like everything done beforehand and maybe everything in the oven finishing/warming up.

So my questions: I have ordered a lovely big joint of Porchetta (suckling pig without the head and feet). Do you think it’s ok to partially cook this joint in the morning, and just finish it off for the last 30 mins or so before we eat? Will it make the crackling all rubbery? What sort of sides do you think go with Mr Pig?

Thanks in advance!

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 01-Nov-16 15:32:24

I have only had suckling pig once and (squeamish tendencies aside) it was delicious. It was in a restaurant and I imagine NOT pre-cooked. I would be doubtful about re-heating partially cooked pork. Could you not fully cook it before, but then re-heat in a microwave before serving?

ChristmasEvePJs Tue 01-Nov-16 18:07:04

I wouldn't tbh. How about something like stuffed roast quail or pork tenderloin that cook quickly.

PedantPending Tue 01-Nov-16 19:03:43

What are you having on Christmas Day?
I would probably do a casserole, maybe venison or wild boar in red wine with gratin dauphinois and either salad or a green veg. Casserole done the day before, then reheated whilst the potatoes cook. Leaves you more time to spend with family & little stress.

PotteringAlong Tue 01-Nov-16 19:05:41

I'd do beef casserole too. Don't make life hard for yourself!

PotteringAlong Tue 01-Nov-16 19:06:22

But to answer your question; no. I definitely wouldn't part cook it.

BooLicious Tue 01-Nov-16 20:47:49

Thank you for all your responses. I have just seen a recipe where it says per weight and how long to cook. Also to blast first then turn down for low and slow. I think I will just time it to finish an hour before we plan to eat, then if it need still more cooking I can cook it for a bit longer. I will make sure everything else is ready earlier so I can just put in the oven to warm up.

Pedant, we have leftovers on Christmas day and movies/games/walks. I get rolls and salad and we have the leftover meats on rolls.

Highlove Tue 01-Nov-16 22:18:51

A really big joint will happily (and benefit from a) rest for an hour or two or longer, if you wrap it well and pop it somewhere warm. Take the crackling off and give that a burst in a super hot oven just as you're about to sit down.

Cookingongas Thu 03-Nov-16 07:00:08

I can't advise on the cooking but for sides I think stuffing is a must- imo pork and stuffing (with apple sauce and cider based gravy) is food heaven. Sage stuffing and gravy can both be made and frozen for reheating on the day.
Roast veg - roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips can all be done in advance, and reheated on the day. Maybe a cabbage or Brussels with bacon and chestnuts as a green veg would be nice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now