Using a slow cooker when out at work

(6 Posts)
holdthebus Sun 30-Oct-16 17:15:34

After feeling inspired by the slow cooker recipes on here, I have decided that I should dig mine out. My problem is that when I see recipes they often say 4, 6 or 8 hours. We are out of the house at 7.30 and don't eat until 7.30 in the evening. What do other people do? Leave it on longer for lower or use a timer?

NightNightBadger19962 Sun 30-Oct-16 17:22:27

I put it on a timer, to come on at 10 am usually. But many things will be fine cooked on low for a lot longer. Just don' t put much liquid in is my tip - most things better with less.

Cookingongas Mon 31-Oct-16 07:17:49

Longer for lower. I adore my slow cooker and often leave 8hour recipe for more like 11 because that's when I'm out. You can't leave chicken breasts longer though (and arguably don't use breasts in your sc anyway!) they go stringy with too much slow cooking.

I'm doing a leg of lamb in mine tomorrow. With chimichurri marinade and slow cooked red peppers. It'll be left 10-12 hours. I can't wait smile

Pinkheels Mon 31-Oct-16 08:45:08

Watching with interest- I've used my new slow cooker a few times whilst I've been at home (mainly for soups and stock) but debating whether to buy a timer- usually out of the house for 8 and back for 5 and not sure how I feel about leaving meat etc out of the fridge if I use a timer.

dreamingofsun Mon 31-Oct-16 14:27:59

can you put them on in the evening otherwise? Not sure why, but i wouldn't fancy the timer option as it involves leaving meat out of the fridge

ShotsFired Mon 31-Oct-16 14:40:53

dreamingofsun can you put them on in the evening otherwise? Not sure why, but i wouldn't fancy the timer option as it involves leaving meat out of the fridge

Meh, I quite frequently put it all in the SC before I go to bed, meat included, and then turn it on before I leave in the morning. Been doing that for about 20 years....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now