Talk

Advanced search

I only have.....

(10 Posts)
Pinkvici22 Sat 29-Oct-16 09:03:34

A slow cooker, kettle, toaster and microwave for the next 4 weeks (renovations ongoing!).

I also want to lose a few pounds.

Most of the nice slow cooker recipes require meat to be browned (which I can't do!).

Please help me with your healthy ideas thlsmile

Allalonenow Sat 29-Oct-16 09:27:56

The microwave will be great for cooking fish.

You can make soup or bean and vegetable stews in the slow cooker.

For about a year I cooked with a Remoska, and you can't really brown meat in that either, but I found that it didn't actually make any difference to the final dish. If you felt you needed some deeper colour to the gravy you could add wine/gravy browning/Lee & Perrins etc etc. so it would be worth trying out a couple of meat dishes in your slow cooker.

If you still have a functioning freezer use frozen mash in the microwave, also packs of microwave rice are easy to use, you can also get packs of lentils to microwave. Use the kettle for cous-cous,

Pinkvici22 Sat 29-Oct-16 12:31:27

Thanks for the reply!

Will have a google for some easy soup recipes....I've got limited space for food prep too so need simple stuff!!!

I'll try the fish and I've also just discovered you can do jacket potatoes in the slow cooker, so I'll give that a try too.

I'd welcome any more suggestions. Thanks.

Allalonenow Sat 29-Oct-16 13:52:07

Potato and leek soup is really easy, and doesn't need much in the way of prep.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 29-Oct-16 13:58:07

Chicken fajitas?

Chicken breasts on slow cooker. Sprinkle with fajita seasoning.

Shred then serve in wraps with salad.

Whole chickens can be done too. Cool then use meat in sandwiches and salads.

Microwave jacket potatoes.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 29-Oct-16 13:58:50

Oh you will need a little stick with the chicken breasts. Kettle and an oxon cube though so easy

Pinkvici22 Sat 29-Oct-16 19:59:18

Okay so I'm thinking....

Slow cooker Chicken curry
Slow cooker fajitas
Slow cooker leek and potato soup
Whole chicken im slow cooker (with various sides or in sarnies)

Micro jackets or rice with fish
Some fresh soups in micro

Allalonenow Sat 29-Oct-16 21:17:52

What about a gammon joint in the SC, you could have it hot with a pouch or tub or tin of lentil stew heated up in the micro, or if you had left over bean and vegetable casserole done in the SC, you could heat the left overs in the micro to serve with the hot gammon.
Left over gammon would be good for sandwiches or salad.

Sausage chickpeas onion tomatoes etc would be a good SC stew too.

One of the things that is going to help you the most is planning ahead and linking meals together, so the left overs of the casserole from day one becomes the soup or pasta sauce or the veg side dish for day two.

Pinkvici22 Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:36

Thanks for all you help...I'll get shopping tomorrow. I've done a meal plan for the week!

Allalonenow Sat 29-Oct-16 22:35:20

Best of luck then, you'll soon get into the swing of it. smile wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now