If you were hosting a Halloween party, what would you serve?

(29 Posts)
Theromanempire Fri 21-Oct-16 20:30:45

There is going to be approx 8 adults and 6 children. I am not great at catering for big numbers (am so jealous of those who just take it in their stride!)

Any suggestions? Am thinking of a big pot of bolognase and maybe a stew with jacket potatos for the adults and pizza/sandwiches/crisps for the kids.

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 21-Oct-16 21:39:41

You need to get some pumpkin in there!!!! I'm doing this Pumpkin cheesecake.

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 21-Oct-16 21:40:50

And if your serving crisps for the kids they must be monster munch!

MrsKellyJones Fri 21-Oct-16 21:55:09

I am doing one on the weekend and serving hot dogs as well as Halloween themed baking - cobweb cupcakes, ghost brownies and mummy shortbread men.

I wrap strips of shortcrust pastry around hotdogs and bake them for a short while and market them as mummy fingers.

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 21-Oct-16 22:04:06

And also for the children sausage mummies ( sausages wrapped in puff pastry bandages) cobweb cupcakes and meringue ghosts.

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 21-Oct-16 22:04:43

X with Superloud!

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 21-Oct-16 22:05:24

Actually not exactly a x

Laura222 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:05:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

zzzzz Fri 21-Oct-16 22:17:51

Lasagne (because you just stick it in the oven)
Baked potatoes (because you just stick them in the oven)
Garlic bread (because...)

Salad

Ice cream Sundays (crushed Oreos for dirt, spooky worm sweets, cream, raspberry/blood sauce)

Stick a few disposable gloves in the freezer and break fingers off for people's drinks wink

MrsKellyJones Sat 22-Oct-16 07:17:21

I'm keeping it simple after last year where I did way too much my fault for letting the children choose on Pinterest

Sgtmajormummy Sat 22-Oct-16 07:41:30

I made those MN biscuits in the shape of witches' fingers, with almonds for nails last year.
They were almost too gruesome to eat!
I usually do chocolate buns with large squares of baking paper instead of paper cases. Then turn them upside down on a stick and draw on a ghosty face.
Pumpkin risotto (pumpkin roasted in the oven in its skin before scraping out and adding to the rice) is simple but tasty.

Theromanempire Sat 22-Oct-16 10:23:37

Thanks for all the ideas - love them!

What about normal food for the adults??

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 22-Oct-16 13:03:04

Pumpkin soup served in the pumpkin?

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 22-Oct-16 19:28:50

I think warming, well cooked comfort food, either a chilli, a good beef casserole or cobbler, a fish pie. I'm doing this Masala Chicken pie tomorrow, it's a bit like a curry with a Bombay potato topping.

Cocksandrubbers Sat 22-Oct-16 19:32:29

Watching with interest, I'm having a party too.

HandbagCrab Sat 22-Oct-16 19:32:46

Draw pumpkin faces on unpeeled tangerines with a black biro!

I'd keep it simple.

Big pot of stew or chilli and some jacket potatoes, plus coleslaw and a green salad
Hotdogs for the kids who won't eat the above, plus carrot sticks, cucumber and cherry tomatoes
Some fairycakes decorated in simple Halloweenesque ways - eg spider webs
Like the icecream/Oreo idea below
Graveyard cake of you want to push the boat out

Cheerybigbottom Sun 23-Oct-16 17:25:47

I'm flagrantly posting to keep this thread in my notifications. We're doing a Halloween party for 10 X5 and unders and their parents next Sunday. One lactose intolerant, one milk allergy with soya intolerance and one coeliac disease sufferer.

I don't think we can get through 2.5 hours with just haribo.

Ratbagcatbag Sun 23-Oct-16 17:30:07

We have 40 people coming on Saturday

I've ordered an excellent themed cake for pudding and will do a vat of ready made custard.

Mains are to be:
Huge stew with pumpkin shaped carrots.
Loads of fresh bread
Large bolognese
Grated cheese
Jacket spuds.

So nothing majorly exciting but warm as well be outside for the evening. 🎃🎃

Theromanempire Sun 23-Oct-16 17:32:23

OK, think I have decided on jacket potato with bolognase/cheese/roast chicken and salad and garlic bread for adults and then hot dogs, pizza and garlic bread for the children. With tortilla chips/dips/crisps etc as nibbles.

Desserts - might make a jelly with worm sweets in and halloween themed cupcakes.

How does that sound?

oldlaundbooth Mon 24-Oct-16 20:47:49

Sounds good.

How about parkin for dessert? Just an idea.

Ooh yes to parkin. Do you have a tried and tested recipe, Old?

oldlaundbooth Mon 24-Oct-16 22:13:57

Er, no blush

But this one looks good :

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940684/parkin

Thank you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now