Talk

Advanced search

Come share your slow cooker receipes!

(19 Posts)
tryhard Fri 14-Oct-16 12:54:51

I've fallen in love with mine all over again now it's gotten colder 🍂😍🍂 Love being able to bung everything in in the morning and come back to a house smelling of lovely food! And it's great to be able to feed the kids at 5pm, keep it on warm & eat with DH later.

Anyway so far I've tried:
- Slimming World chilli
- Smoked haddock & sweetcorn chowder
- Beef stew
- GoodFood saucy chicken & Spring veg
- Mumsnet cowgirl stew

Want to try a risotto and more fish....

tryhard Sat 15-Oct-16 12:01:48

Anyone?!

AllTheShoes Sat 15-Oct-16 12:07:16

Ooh, are any of those non dairy? I could do with some new recipes, I mostly do soups and stews.

Groovee Sat 15-Oct-16 12:15:10

Melt a cup of butter, add 2 cloves of garlic, teaspoon of pepper, teaspoon of mixed herbs and if you want juice of a lemon.

Put chicken breasts in slow cooker, add the sauce, put potatoes Carrots and green beans in the slow cooker. High for 4 hours, low for 6 hours.

We love pulled pork. Pop in joint of pork for 10-12 hours. On a bed of onions and garlic. Once cooked, remove fat and shred. I serve it up shredded as I prefer a garlic ketchup sauce from asda and Dh likes BBQ sauce and kids eat plain. Serve with crusty rolls, salad and corn on the cob.

IloveBabyBubbles Sat 15-Oct-16 12:27:57

Easy no pre-cooking curry:

Throw in a packet of chicken thigh fillets, a can of drained lentils and a jar of curry sauce, cook on low for 4-6 hours, turn up to high and stir in some spinach, leave a few minutes to wilt and serve! Great with lightly toasted naan and mango chutney.

KP86 Sat 15-Oct-16 12:38:20

Pea and ham soup

Pork/lamb shoulder

Beef stroganoff

KP86 Sat 15-Oct-16 12:44:46

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/13192/pea+ham+soup

Beef strog - use a packet mix (yes, I cheat!)

Curried sausage casserole - parcook and thinly slice 6-8 sausages (1.5-2/person), then add to cooker bowl with garlic, a small amount of beef stock, curry powder to taste, a couple of tbsp of tomato concentrate, parsley, and root vegies like diced potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, frozen peas and broccoli (best left until close to the end). Cook on low for about 6 hours or high for 4 hours.

TeaAndBisquits Sat 15-Oct-16 16:54:17

Pork and sweet potato chilli.

500g pork mince (browned if you have time.)
2 sweet potatoes diced into inch sized chunks.
1 red pepper diced.
1 large onion chopped.
Tin of chopped tomatoes.
Tin of drained kidney beans.
2 garlic cloves crushed.
1tsp oregano.
2tsp cumin.
2tsp paprika.
1tsp chilli powder.
Pinch of cinnamon.
Salt and pepper.

Chuck it all in. Cook on low for 6 hours.
It's amazing!

LegoCaltrops Sat 15-Oct-16 17:06:35

Lamb stew. Very cheap, tasty, dairy free, can be fairly low fat. Does require a certain amount of "hands on" time to pick over the meat.

A piece of lamb (cheap end of neck, whatever), put it in the slow cooker with a very generous amount of water & couple of bayleaves Cook until the lamb is easily falling off the bones. Leave to cool completely . The fat will rise & solidify at the top, skim off with a spatula. Take lamb off the bones & remove any remaining fat. Strain the stock if you want. Put the meat & stock back in the slow cooker, add some soaked, dried beans (I especially like butter beans for this) & pearl barley. Cook until they are nearly done. Add some sliced carrots, potatoes, cook until tender. Maybe add dumplings for the last 30 mins, especially if you need to stretch the recipe to make several meals. Season to taste.

LegoCaltrops Sat 15-Oct-16 17:17:37

I also like sausage / pork & bean stew. Again, fairly cheap.

If you have time, brown some cubed pork pieces & a diced onion in a pan, or just put them straight into the slow cooker. Add some dried beans (eg cannellini & chickpeas). A tin of tomatoes, & enough water to generously cover. I also add a tin of baked beans - it adds some seasoning & thickens the sauce. Add a bayleaf or your choice of herbs. (I use Savory for this - you can't buy it in the shops but it absolutely grows like a weed in a sunny spot outside.) At some point grill some sausages, then cut up & add into the slow cooker. I find this recipe pretty useful for using up odd bits of winter veg, too.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 15-Oct-16 17:22:49

I tend to use mine for a whole chicken, gammon or stock.

dannyglick Sun 16-Oct-16 17:02:01

Following previous MN tips, I have used my slow cooker several times to cook a joint of meat for a Sunday roast dinner: just put in the slow cooker early in the morning , with nothing added, and cook all day on low.
Then there's just roast potatoes, veg and gravy to make later in the day.
It seems pretty foolproof with any joint of meat, and it's really succulent to eat.

CowPatRoberts Sun 16-Oct-16 17:38:04

Great timing- I'm using my new slow cooker for the first time today! I have some brisket in with onions, small carrots, celery, beef stock, mustard, star anise and a bottle of stout.

I browned the brisket in the frying pan first, took that off and then fried the onions and celery, added carrots and once I'd removed them cooked off the stout with the spices and added it all to the slow cooker on slow for 8 hours.

Will have to let you all know how it turns out wink

QueenSpartacusOfTheAndals Sun 16-Oct-16 17:46:49

A word of warning - I've find that meat is fine to just get chucked in the slow cooker without browning, but veg definitely needs to be fried a bit to soften it first. Onions put in the slow cooker without softening are horrible!

ChocolateIsNotSleep Sun 16-Oct-16 20:30:53

I did mustard pork shoulder steaks tonight - browned well then fried onions in the same pan, deglazed with white wine (cider would work well too I think) then generous tsp each of Dijon and whole grain mustards. Pour on top of steaks then cooked on low for 7 hours before stirring in a teaspoon of so of cream. Very tasty according to DP. I did also fry off some apple slices and added those but not sure they added that much. Nice and cheap too!

ChocolateIsNotSleep Sun 16-Oct-16 20:32:05

Another tip I came across recently is to lightly oil the slow cooker before adding food. Probably obvious to everyone else but me - but it's made washing up miles easier!

poochiepants Sun 16-Oct-16 20:38:38

Am going to get one just to do pulled pork, groovee ! I like an easy adaptation of green salsa on mine - thin out green pesto with olive oil, then drizzle over the pulled pork in ciabatta - very like my fave lunchtime place in Vancouver, Meat & Bread....

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 16-Oct-16 23:06:16

I don't need to oil,I have SC liners,they're fabwink

ByeByeLilSebastian Wed 19-Oct-16 17:41:27

I've just done a lovely chinese curry in mine using the goldfish curry paste. So easy, you just mix up the paste, add a bit of curry powder and chuck it in the SC with your chicken, mushrooms or whatever else you fancy. I did it on low for 5 hours, left the lid off for the last hour as it was a bit runny.

Tastes just like the takeaway version 😋

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now