Leek and potato soup

(29 Posts)
SnugglySnerd Wed 12-Oct-16 12:58:57

I love leek and potato soup. I am pregnant and have a cold so I made some for a nice comforting lunch but it didn't really hit the spot.
I have tried several different recipes over the last few weeks but it never has much flavour.
Please share you best leek and potato recipe so I can make it to cheer myself up!

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 12-Oct-16 13:00:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnugglySnerd Wed 12-Oct-16 13:03:29

No I haven't, I'll have a look for it online. Thanks.

DramaAlpaca Wed 12-Oct-16 13:04:35

Another vote for Delia's, it's delicious.

dannyglick Wed 12-Oct-16 13:42:24

Snuggly, I've just made some this morning, but it's the easy option: made with Asda leek and potato soup mix ( in fresh veg aisle).
I just added vegetable stock, cooked and blended.
It will do for me and DH to take to work for the next two days.

lucy101101 Wed 12-Oct-16 13:43:11

Jamie Oliver's is my favourite

SnugglySnerd Wed 12-Oct-16 14:15:17

Thanks for suggestions. I'll have to try them all!

EmNetta Thu 13-Oct-16 23:29:39

It's my favourite! Starting with a spoonful of olive oil, I wash and chop leeks, peel and dice potatoes (about same quantity of each) and boil separately, adding chicken or vegetable stock to finish, seasoning to taste then serve.

This is my own recipe, evolved over the years, being simple , healthy and always popular. Based on a packet of leeks- although I prefer 4/5 thin greenish ones- this makes enough to fill my medium-large pan and keeps (covered) in the fridge for 3-4 days. If no visitors.....

bookbook Thu 13-Oct-16 23:39:34

another Delia fan here for this

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 13-Oct-16 23:42:40

Delia's. I didn't think I liked leek and potato soup until I had a glut of leeks and no better way to use them up. Currently it's my favourite!

PickAChew Thu 13-Oct-16 23:46:34

I just boil a large, chopped leek and a chopped, floury potato in plenty of good chicken or vegetable stock with a pinch of dried rosemary and plenty of ground black pepper, then whizz it up when everything is nice and soft. Add cream if I have it. It needs to be well seasoned and have quite a high proportion of leek.

SnugglySnerd Fri 14-Oct-16 07:45:43

Have got the Delia recipe to make next week. My poor family must be sick of leek and potato by now!
I like the idea of adding a bit of rosemary or perhaps thyme.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Fri 14-Oct-16 13:57:40

I quite like bay in there while cooking. or did until I forgot about a bay leaf in a different flavour soup which I blended. No matter of removing visible pieces made THAT soup palatable

DramaAlpaca Fri 14-Oct-16 20:18:31

I sometimes add a bit of garlic to the Delia one, just to change the flavour up a bit. It's good.

SlinkyVagabond Fri 14-Oct-16 20:30:27

Lightly sauté your leeks and chopped spuds, then add stock (I use Marigold) and simmer. Whizz, we don't like it too smooth. Add milk and or cream. Pepper to taste. Then add chopped crispy bacon (and a bit of the bacon grease) Crumble Wensleydale cheese in the bowls first.

SnugglySnerd Sat 15-Oct-16 10:33:12

I don't eat meat but I bet the Wensleydale is lovely in it!

lokivonpoki Sun 30-Oct-16 11:51:51

I like mine chunky with fried smoked streaky bacon in it, gives it a bit more flavour

lokivonpoki Sun 30-Oct-16 11:52:20

Just seen you don't eat meat, please ignore me smile

girlwithamoonandstaronherhead Sun 30-Oct-16 11:54:41

Another vote for delia's here, I add a bit of chilli powder though.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 30-Oct-16 11:56:14

Ooo I've been fancying leek and potato soup! Might have to make some now.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 11:58:34

I always add some bacon but that's no good to yougrin

raspberryrippleicecream Wed 02-Nov-16 00:09:24

I use Mary Berry, which is like most of the others but has freshly grated nutmeg added.

PedantPending Fri 04-Nov-16 06:35:57

I made this yesterday evening.
2 very fresh leeks, washed and sliced, including most of the green part.
3 cloves of smoked garlic
Saute the above in coconut oil until soft, add 4 medium potatoes in chunks, about 125ml white wine. Boil up for a few minutes, add ground pepper, splash of Lea & Perrins, bit of whole nutmeg and 750ml good stock.
Simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes. Blend. Check seasoning.
It is quite green, but tastes very good.

loinnir Fri 04-Nov-16 15:53:14

As others have said - a high proportion of leeks is important or it can be a bit too potatoey and even gluey (rinse the potatoes well) Mary Berry's recipe is also good.

Giraffeski Fri 04-Nov-16 21:58:43

I sauté three leeks and an onion in oil ( used to be butter but kids allergic to milk)
Then add two small or one large chopped carrots, a chopped clove of garlic and a splash of water.
Simmer until veg soft. Add salt, white pepper and stock. ( chicken or veg) Blend until smooth.
Then add diced potato and simmer until potato soft. I do it his way as I don't like the leeks to be chunky but if you blend the potatoes they go all gluey and starchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now