Talk

Advanced search

Breakfast ideas for a suddenly restricted diet?

(23 Posts)
BoyFromTheBigBadCity Mon 10-Oct-16 17:37:47

I've just been told by the doctor I have to go on a low cholesterol diet, and lose weight. So he said no eggs, no dairy, no red meat, massively reduce carbs. I can work out other meals, but I have no idea what to eat for breakfast. Any suggestions?

Paulat2112 Mon 10-Oct-16 18:20:51

thestonesoup.com/blog/2015/09/6-low-carb-paleo-breakfast-ideas/ Might be good?

LaContessaDiPlumpOnSea Mon 10-Oct-16 18:24:23

You're basically vegan! We are excellent in this area grin

How limited are you on carbs? Smoothies are good, as is fruit with soy/coconut yoghurt. If you make your own stuff you can monitor carbs very closely, and reduce them where possible.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Mon 10-Oct-16 19:17:21

Doesn't have to be too strict with carbs, I have to eat something! If I have a smoothie for breakfast will I stay full?

Justmemyselfandi999 Mon 10-Oct-16 19:26:11

I'm vegan, I'd go for overnight oats, some chunky porridge oats, dessert spoon of chia seeds, teaspoon of agave nectar and a little cocoa powder, mix with almond milk and top with frozen summer berries, leave overnight in the fridge. Is delicious, nutritious and dead easy smile

Blondie1984 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:55:28

Smoked salmon and avocado with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms

Quinoa porridge

Statelychangers Tue 11-Oct-16 07:35:32

Cholesterol from eggs does not increase cholesterol in the body - Why does your dr think you need to give them up?

annandale Tue 11-Oct-16 07:41:29

2 dessert spoons of porridge oats (50g), enough water that they are covered plus a bit, microwave 1 min, stir, microwave another min. Splash of milk. Chop an apple into it, or I like a few tinned prunes.

INeedNewShoes Tue 11-Oct-16 07:45:16

Make sure you up your green leafy veg hugely for calcium. I actually think the advice you've been given is a bit irresponsible. There are important nutrients in the food you've been asked to cut!

SunnySomer Tue 11-Oct-16 07:49:45

Porridge made with any nut milk (we like almond best, avoid the sweetened ones) with anything on top - stewed apple, dried berries or raisins stirred on, banana and honey. It's also nice with just some sea salt sprinkled on top which makes me wonder if it would be good with crushed roasted salted almonds on top....

sashh Tue 11-Oct-16 07:52:36

Egg white omelette - the fat is in the yolk.

Can you have ham? Half of Europe has ham for breakfast. Porridge can be made with water or low fat milk/milk substitute.

If you can't have ham how about chicken? I know it sounds odd but there really is no need to not eat it at breakfast.

Beans on toast.

Get a couple of portobello mushrooms and some cherry tomatoes, half the tomatoes, take the stalk out of the mushroom and chop - put the chopped mushroom and tomato in the mushroom, season to preference and bake for 15 mins.

Tinned tomatoes on toast.

Use quark and veg to make a tosatie - i'm imagining you can have a single slice of bread - i'm not obsessed with toast. I am not talkie toaster.

But - mashed banana on toast.

Bagels are quite filling if you are allowed any.

wheatchief Tue 11-Oct-16 08:39:12

I have avocado and roasted cherry tomatoes on rye bread. Quite possibly too many carbs but you could fiddle around with what you serve it on? I roast the tomatoes in a tiny amount of olive oil and balsamic.

Also have oats quite often.

I'm also a bit hmm about the eggs being banned but hey ho.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Tue 11-Oct-16 23:23:05

Thanks all. Given my age and the numbers I'll do what he says, it already on the calcium with veg and tablets. I think I can have eggs once a week, and carbs but limited. For tomorrow I have salmon, tomatoes and other veg. I just can't deal with porridge, sadly.

ppeatfruit Wed 12-Oct-16 13:01:13

Careful with coconut though that's high in saturated fat..

I'm basically on your diet and it's easy once you get your head round it. I make my own seasonal smoothie for breakfast with ground linseeds and almonds, they fill you up and are good for you.

On other mornings I have gluten free oats and buckwheat flakes, with cinnamon, and other spices I like. Also sweeten with molasses or maple syrup and use water to soak the flakes before eating. (You wouldn't know you don't have milk it it) honest!

ClaudiaWankleman Wed 12-Oct-16 14:26:56

I really enjoy tomato scrambled with green beans/ spinach/ whatever vegetables need eating on top of some boiled rice (jasmine, not basmati) in the mornings.

It sounds strange to Brits but it's very normal in other places and fills you right up. It's also strangely delicious for something that sounds so boring.

ppeatfruit Thu 13-Oct-16 09:29:07

True Claudia It's easy to make a quiche type omelette with spinach instead of pastry too.

Happy50 Thu 13-Oct-16 21:54:45

Watch The Retreat on BBC I player.
A group of television builders and members of the public went on a months yoga and detox monitored by conventional doctors.
All the participation reduced their cholesterol, some dramatically and one man reversed his diabetes ( type 2) by following a vegan diet and yoga.

I was amazed it worked so quickly.

MakeJam Fri 14-Oct-16 08:12:48

Wholegrain or rye bread toast, with grilled tomatoes drizzled with a good olive oil and topped with torn basil leaves and some olives.
Marmite on toast, with mashed banana (no butter).
Bran flakes or Shredded Wheat, chopped fresh fruit, skimmed milk.
Chakchouka (with one egg) recipe here.
Egg Florentine (pasta and a poached egg on a bed of spinach) grate of nutmeg.

I am also surprised at the no eggs/no dairy advice as eggs and milk are important sources of protein, calcium and vitamins. Go for skimmed milk and fat-free yogurt but avoid butter, margarine or 'yellow spread' and coconut.

Also opt for brown jasmine rice or red Camargue instead of white rice. It just needs to be cooked for longer. Or try pearled barley or spelt instead.

Molasses, dried fruit and maple syrup have high sugar content so use sparingly.

I used to eat a lot of cheese and it's one of the foods I really miss.

ppeatfruit Fri 14-Oct-16 08:51:19

I wouldn't touch bran flakes, they are far too harsh for the gut. (Some people have real problems with ANY wheat, see the book Wheat Belly by William Davis MD ) I feel so much better without it, no exhaustion or const. or brain fog.

Gluten free oats are much better.

ppeatfruit Fri 14-Oct-16 08:55:09

I eat pure rye, ryvita and or Kamut bread, so still can have toast! Olive oil is great on toast.

MakeJam Fri 14-Oct-16 11:27:35

@ ppeatfruit,
Where do you buy Kamut bread or do you make it? I'd like to try it.

ppeatfruit Fri 14-Oct-16 12:10:50

MakeJam You can get it in some large Waitroses' (they sell good rye bread too) or get the flour in a Health food shop (some of the good independent bakers and HF shops sell it).

It's delicious BTW better than normal bread!

ppeatfruit Fri 14-Oct-16 12:14:33

Oh sorry, in England it's known as khorasan flour sometimes. Spelt is another non wheat flour that suits some people too. They do have a different type of gluten to wheat (I'm not gluten free just wheat free grin ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now