So very,very bored with my post-work family suppers - ideas please?

(20 Posts)
TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Mon 10-Oct-16 11:10:04

I am in a food rut. Neither of my DC are especially fussy, but typically they have very different likes and dislikes. Please let me know what your best quickish, healthy-ish standbys are. Asian-style stuff and/or fish idea particularly welcome.

In return I am happy to share my boring regular family favourites.

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 10-Oct-16 11:15:02

We have been trying to eat more fish recently. I made a Moroccan fish stew that went down well and was quite quick. And yesterday I made Kedgeree (Jamie Oliver recipe) which was lovely, but took longer than I thought it would.

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Mon 10-Oct-16 11:18:44

moroccan fish stew sounds interesting - do you use a particular recipe?

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 10-Oct-16 11:25:35

I used this High Priestess www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/moroccan-fish-stews

Made it in a saucepan, left out the sweet potatoes, and ate it with cous cous. Even the kids ate it.

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 10-Oct-16 11:27:32

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/moroccan-fish-stew

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 10-Oct-16 11:28:32

And I've never used fennel before; it was a bit of a revelation.

YogaPants Mon 10-Oct-16 11:34:20

How about Salmon teriyaki? Something like this with some greens or other veg on the side.
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/teriyakisalmon_66107

Saltlake Mon 10-Oct-16 11:38:32

Seafood chowder?
Smoked salmon pasta?

Jamie's fish curry from the Save with Jamie book. It's not quick, but isn't hard, and the vegetable curry that goes along side it freezes well.

Saltlake Mon 10-Oct-16 11:40:21

Pasta with mackerel and peas.

How quick do you want. Indian Scrambled eggs as in add ground cumin and Coriander to the egg mix is good.

lastqueenofscotland Mon 10-Oct-16 12:47:23

Premake and freeze soups - carrot and coriander and leek and potato are always popular!
Hallumi salads - current Fave is grilled asparagus, hallumi, rocket leaves and whatever else you fancy

Abrahamkin Mon 10-Oct-16 12:47:53

An easy fish recipe is one I had gotten from a thread on here:
Drizzle salmon steaks with honey and soy. Cover with foil if you like them pale or leave if you like the salmon drier and crispier.
Bake for 30 mins.
After 25 mins, pour boiling water onto rice noodles in a bowl and leave to soften for a couple of minutes then drain.
Stir fry ready bought stir fry veg 5 mins before serving.

Another one is to drizzle salmon with pesto and serve with boiled potatoes. Alternatively chicken drizzled with pesto, topped with tomatoes and grated cheese.

A lot of the recipes I now use had come from that one thread right around the time I started work after maternity leave. See what catches your eye here.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 10-Oct-16 13:08:24

Mix together natural yoghurt and curry powder coat and coat white fish fillets and bake in the oven, once cooked spread a teaspoon of mango chutney on each and put under the grill for a minute or so.
I batch cook tuna, pea and tartar sauce fishcakes, they freeze brilliantly and can just be chucked in the oven to reheat.

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Mon 10-Oct-16 16:37:19

Many thanks - these all sound excellent. Will have a proper look when i get home.

Bambooshoots14 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:42:06

AtleastitsnotMonday have you got the fishcake recipe please? Do you cook then freeze?

allthekingsshoes Mon 10-Oct-16 16:46:59

Sorry I can't seem to link but Google tomato and thyme cod and there is a bbc good food recipe which is v simple and quick . The Jamie Oliver spicy prawn pasta regularly gets mention on here and is good and quick.

allthekingsshoes Mon 10-Oct-16 16:49:18

Jamie Oliver prawns and rocket spaghetti

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 10-Oct-16 17:12:35

I had a lazy tea of tandoori salmon (from the fish counter in Morrisons. Other fish counters are available) with steamed broccoli and basmati rice, with soy sauce over the rice/veg.

20mins end to end and the fish was already in an oven bag (though you can microwave it which would reduce the cooking time down to 10mins)

I've also done the same with salmon and a Goan curry paste from Sainsbo's. Just coat the top of the salmon with the paste and cook in a tinfoil bag in the oven.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 10-Oct-16 17:13:46

Oh and this is GORGEOUS: www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/1940-Smoked-salmon-tagliatelle

fruitatthebottom Mon 10-Oct-16 17:18:56

I'm watching with interest as I tend to cook the same things everyday and getting a bit bored too.. lately we've been doing some different things including:
Chicken noodle stir fry
Beef enchiladas (a surprising hit with all 3 dc) with salad
The old El Paso 'one pan' paella was a huge hit last week, will definitely be doing that again and very quick and easy.
Pasta with red pesto, mushrooms, peppers and garlic bread.
Salmon topped with philladelphia, lemon and breadcrumbs with chipped potatoes and veg - also a surprisingly big hit with the DC.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 10-Oct-16 23:13:46

This is the tuna fish cake recipe I brown in pan then freeze on baking sheet. Then bake for 30 mins from frozen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now