Talk

Advanced search

What can I add to whipped egg white to make low carb pancakes?

(12 Posts)
Chewingthecrud Sun 09-Oct-16 08:40:16

I usually whip up the egg whites to stiffish then add flour and almond milk and cook like drop scones.
Lovely instead of bread but I'm trying to drop the carbs even more so wondered what else would firm them up a bit?

Would cooked red lentils work do you think?

PickAChew Sun 09-Oct-16 08:42:08

So you're doing low fat and low carb? Why?

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 09-Oct-16 08:43:16

ground nuts/almonds

Bumpinthenight Sun 09-Oct-16 08:44:04

Bananas

itlypocerka Sun 09-Oct-16 08:45:56

You can make good sweet pancakes with just egg and banana (though that's whole egg, never tried with just eggwhite)

Chewingthecrud Sun 09-Oct-16 08:48:13

Would that make them sweet Pink? I use them for savoury replacement

Pick I'm not doing low fat I just don't want to put the egg yolk in as I whip up the whites to make them pancake like.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 09-Oct-16 08:48:57

Coconut flour?

SoupDragon Sun 09-Oct-16 08:52:01

I saw cloud bread on MN which might fit what you want.

Thebeachismyhappyplace Sun 09-Oct-16 08:57:39

Blended sweetcorn makes good savoury pancakes. Beat together 2/3 tin and 1 egg, then add in rest of the kernels. Adding a large onion and another egg to the mix also works. I season with onion salt, chilli, coriander they are great with lean bacon for a brunch.

BrieAndChilli Sun 09-Oct-16 08:58:26

I make high protein pancakes with cottage cheese. It does have a small amount of flour in but not as much as normal pancakes.

MothershipG Sun 09-Oct-16 09:08:21

Ground flax seeds, ground almonds or coconut flour all make reasonable flour replacements.

Chewingthecrud Sun 09-Oct-16 17:01:57

Thanks all!

In the end I amalgamated your ideas and did whipped egg white, cottage cheese and just enough buckwheat flour to bind it.

Really lOvely altho stuck terribly to the pan so I ended up baking them in rounds on a greaseproof sheet which worked much better.

Will see how the rest are for lunch tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now