Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for my massive pumpkin

(13 Posts)
Doublemint Sat 08-Oct-16 20:09:50

I got a bit carried away earlier and bought a HUGE pumpkin and a small squash.

I'm going to get another one to carve for Halloween and want to cook something with this one. Ideally something that we can eat then freeze the leftovers for quick meals for the kids.

Ideas please!

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 08-Oct-16 20:56:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doublemint Sat 08-Oct-16 22:02:33

It's about the size of a beach ball and yes was sold as an eater. Great idea to do risotto though thank you!

MrsCurly Sat 08-Oct-16 22:11:02

There's a great Sophie Grigson recipe for pumpkin soup made inside the pumpkin. You put liquid, rice, herbs inside and put it in the oven and then scooped out the cooked flesh in to the liquid when it's ready.

Doublemint Sun 09-Oct-16 10:36:14

So far I've used half of it to make a massive saucepan of soup, still got half left.

Allalonenow Sun 09-Oct-16 10:53:08

Cut some slices from it, add knobs of butter and some black pepper, herbs such as fresh rosemary or sage if you have them, wrap in a foil parcel and roast, delicious with any joint or ham, sausages etc.

Allalonenow Sun 09-Oct-16 10:54:07

Use in a creamy vegetable curry.

GlowWine Sun 09-Oct-16 11:05:30

I had a glut of culinary pumpkins this year, and so far we've had it: as a vegetable diced in curries and stews, it keeps its shape or disintegrates depending on the cooking time, wedges roasted as a vegetable with dinner, risotto, grated in cake, pureed in cake/muffins/pancakes... I also freeze it in diced, grated and pureed (roast, peel, puree) form to use later in the year. I still have two huge ones sitting uncut smile
In the past I have also made jam (with lemon), pumpkin pie and soup obviously...

Chemistria Sun 09-Oct-16 11:08:47

i made a lovely healthy meal a few weeks back from a cookery book, salmon with a pumpkin crust, it was really tasty and served with green veg and potatoes or whatever you want really.

usually i tend (or intend) to make soup and a pumpkin pie, proper American style ones. although it hardly ever ends up happening.

Doublemint Sun 09-Oct-16 14:10:55

Thanks for all the fab ideas- going to tackle the second half of it this afternoon here's a pic of the soup- so freakin wholesome it's not normally like this round mine!

Allalonenow Mon 10-Oct-16 21:59:59

Just been reading on the BBC site that the RHS are planning on making a boat from a giant pumpkin!
Now why didn't we think of that!! grin

Doublemint Thu 13-Oct-16 13:46:10

Damn!

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 15-Oct-16 10:02:40

Chutney. Also good in curry if it's the sort that holds its shape. Also have a vague memory that it's good for dogs if you have one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now