I Just Made Courgetti Bolognese...

(27 Posts)
YokoUhOh Tue 04-Oct-16 17:47:49

...and it was blimmin' lovely! It was just like spaghetti except a bit more al dente (I fried the Courgetti in some Olive oil). I'm going to try Boodles tomorrow (butternut squash noodles) with pancetta and crème fraiche.

I've got an Oxo spiralizer but it seems a bit long-winded. Should I get an electronic one?

YokoUhOh Tue 04-Oct-16 17:48:59

Apologies for the weird capitalization...autocorrect has clearly never heard of any foodstuffs hmm

Blondie1984 Tue 04-Oct-16 22:12:19

Like any kitchen gadget you have to ask yourself whether you will actually get the use out of it - or will it be one of those things like breadmakers, ice-cream makers etc that you use for a few weeks and then put in the cupboard to never see the light of day again.....

Cheesecake53 Tue 04-Oct-16 22:52:44

Wow! You inspired me. I am looking at that OXO thing right now smile

YokoUhOh Wed 05-Oct-16 11:55:06

cheesecake I found it really easy but can imagine it's tricky if you have arthritis etc.

blondie I'm all about time saving lazy and if a gadget can shave minutes off the prep, I'll prob buy it. Worried that they're a ballache to clean though?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 12:00:08

I love my spiralizer, I use it most days. It's like a big pencil sharpenergrin

YokoUhOh Wed 05-Oct-16 12:08:31

What type is it Dame?

TyrionLannistersShadow Wed 05-Oct-16 12:10:32

I love my spiraliser too, I use it a couple of times a week, usually for courgette noodles

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 12:10:56

www.jmldirect.com/kitchen/food-preparation/veggetti-2-vegetable-spiralizer-for-low-carb-vegetable-spaghetti/r

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 12:11:42

Oh doesn't work!

It's a Vegetti JML one.

LBOCS2 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:15:14

Courgetti is surprisingly delicious actually.

Did you know that Aldi sell ready spiralised veg? I spotted it yesterday...

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 12:17:30

I don't cook the courgette, I just spiralize it and then put bolognaise on top.

YokoUhOh Wed 05-Oct-16 12:18:47

Just when I thought Aldi couldn't get any better! their Greek yoghurt tastes like rotten cheese though

Is there a spiralizer thread?

YokoUhOh Wed 05-Oct-16 15:27:53

Urgh just destroyed my hand making Boodles (butternut squash noodles). I think butternut squash need a double-peel before attacking them with the spiralizer.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 15:31:08

Just noticed in tesco they have an electric spiralizer- looks like a nutritionist bullet type gadget. £25 iirc. Was tempted!

YokoUhOh Wed 05-Oct-16 16:53:43

I was just in Tesco, too, and they had packets of fresh spiralized veg but were charging a premium! I might check out the electric spiralizer.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 17:10:32

www.tesco.com/direct/kenwood-electric-spiralizer-white/653-9611.prd?skuId=653-9611&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc_sh-_-sh-_-tesco-_-653-9611&gclid=CjwKEAjwydK_BRDK34GenvLB61YSJACZ8da3Pf1lM4lrCCy-EUGv06bJS9akhikMRjbamg6gyqri_hoCJo3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&source=others

sorry it was 45 not 25, probably why I didn't get it! mind you , if you start buying the ready made stuff it would soon be worth it.

YokoUhOh Wed 05-Oct-16 17:12:18

Maybe I'll wait until Black Friday!

WorkInProgess Thu 06-Oct-16 09:47:15

My spiraliser is still in it's box! Had the prepared boodles from Morrisons last night with spanish sausage pasta sauce last night and was really tasty. Might actually get the spiraliser out and make my own next time.

ChocChocPorridge Thu 06-Oct-16 09:49:22

Most of the low carb/paleo/whatever stuff is pretty disgusting, but Courgetti is one of the internet recipes that's genuinely delicious.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Thu 06-Oct-16 10:03:48

I bought an electric spiraliser after reading about it on here. It's great. Loving my courgettes and butternut squash!
I have the morphy richards one, chosen because it was the one that was £45 rather than £49 that day. They look very similar.

FlukeSkyeRunner Thu 06-Oct-16 16:34:44

I use mine loads - a manual one with a handle to turn. Courgette, butternut squash, carrots, any root veg really to stir fry or steam - you'll save money on fuel too because they are so quick to cook. Also great for curly fries 😀 Or fruit for desserts - v quick to prep apples etc for crumbles. Or veggies for slaws or salads. Mine is dead easy to clean too.

Oblomov16 Thu 06-Oct-16 16:43:23

I just get a potato peeler and peel strips off the courgette. Takes seconds, so cheap. Dh now says he prefers it to traditional spag Bol.

YokoUhOh Thu 06-Oct-16 19:19:38

I had a sickness bug today after my Boodles Carbonara and now the thought of anything spiralized is making me retch sad

I could definitely try curly sweet potato fries, but I don't think my spiralizer is thick enough...

SlottedSpoon Thu 06-Oct-16 19:27:21

I don't cook the courgette either. I was a bit hmm when my friend told me not to bother cooking it, but it warms through with the sauce and because it's so fine it really doesn't need it.

And I have to say it is surprisingly delicious with chilli and bolognese etc. It's a pretty dull / mushy vegetable when cooked but courgetti is genius.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now