Talk

Advanced search

Lamb shank recipe needed please

(9 Posts)
MrsNuckyThompson Tue 04-Oct-16 16:11:25

Hello - bought some lovely looking lamb shanks from the farm shop today. Do you have any scrumptious recipes to share?

Tenpastlate Wed 05-Oct-16 07:52:16

I'm bookmarking for inspiration. I'd usually use red wine and redcurrant jelly, shallots and mushrooms.

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 05-Oct-16 12:09:51

Ten - care to share that recipe? Sounds nice! Do you use the jelly as a glaze and slow roast?

Tenpastlate Wed 05-Oct-16 18:19:01

I seal the outside of the lamb shanks, then soften the shallots and some red onions and chestnut mushrooms in butter. Everything into a casserole with a lid. Add a small jar of redcurrant jelly and half a bottle of red wine (chianti) and a couple of sprigs of rosemary and some black pepper. Lid on and into the oven - cook on a medium heat for min 3hrs or until ready to eat it.
Serve with extra redcurrant jelly, green beans and red cabbage.
Now I am hungry!

nancy75 Wed 05-Oct-16 18:21:38

Red wine, carrots,onion,garlic,stock, tin of tomatoes and rosemary bung it all in a pot with the lamb and stick it in the oven on low for 3 to 4 hours. Serve with little roast potatos and green veg

ObiWankyKnobby Wed 05-Oct-16 18:25:52

Sear the lamb, fry onions & chorizo, then cook long & slow in red wine, seasoning, and could add some smoked paprika for extra warmth. Lovely! Serve with sweet potato mash & rocket salad.

Kr1stina Wed 05-Oct-16 18:26:00

I do any suitable veg I have in the fridge, tin of chopped toms, garlic purée, Rosemary and half a bottle of balsamic vinegar

HappyGirlNow Tue 11-Oct-16 21:43:44

This is absolutely delicious. I cook it lower and longer though - 160 for 3 hours(ish) until meat is falling off bone YUM grin

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 12-Oct-16 19:10:02

Thanks everyone! In the end I did a bit of a mish mash of everyone's recipes - soffrito, garlic and mushrooms softened off, added the browned shanks, red currant jelly, red wine and tomato puree then in the oven for 3+ hours at 160. They were totally delicious and I'd definitely do them again, especially if having people round as they look lovely on the plate are 'pre-portioned' and you just shove 'em in and forget about everything but the sides!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now