Talk

Advanced search

Random mixed fruit jam?

(13 Posts)
KanyesVest Wed 14-Sep-16 20:21:07

I've a tonne of random fruit that's past its best but I don't want to throw it out. I don't want to make crumbles that I'll fall into face first. I also have a bag of jam sugar so I thought I could chop fruit (nectarines, plums, apples, pears) and simmer with the sugar and hope for the best. Am I likely to get something edible for the effort?

botemp Wed 14-Sep-16 21:18:35

I have no expertise in jam making as I'm wholly convinced all the pectin talk would drive me mad but alternatively can you not chop it all up put it on a tray and freeze them individually, bag them when they're fully frozen then use it for smoothies (or crumbles grin)? Also, nectarine puree makes a great substitute for peach in a Bellini.

GherkinsOnToast Wed 14-Sep-16 21:23:19

Go for it, cook up the fruit first so it is all the same texture then add jam sugar, boil up and hey presto! It's called random jam in our house smile

KanyesVest Wed 14-Sep-16 21:42:19

I have a freezer full of other random crap that I fully intend to use for some undefined function at some undefined point in the future hmm I think this fruit needs to serve a purpose in the here and now!

I had vaguely thought about precooking and blending the lumpy bits, so thanks, I will do that.

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 15-Sep-16 09:07:18

The best jam is made with fruit that is only just ripe (and some of it possibly slightly under ripe) as this is when natural pectin levels are at their height, as they fall quite rapidly when fruit goes past its best. It would be worth adding a slightly under-ripe or just ripe apple just to nudge the pectin levels up a bit.

MakeJam Thu 15-Sep-16 09:50:49

Low pectin levels inhibit the setting of the jam and might make it stay runny. After boiling if it's still runny you could add some Certo or some citric acid (buy a box from the chemist), although the jam sugar should have added pectin. I'd go for it.

We call it hedgerow jam in our house.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 15-Sep-16 10:20:49

I do that and just make sure that I use Jam Sugar with added pectin in it and it never fails to set.
Love a bit of pot luck jam!!

KanyesVest Thu 15-Sep-16 11:31:47

I've stuck on the fruit to simmer and put the jars into the dishwasher to boil. It smells lovely, peaches, plums, nectarines and apples.

Thanks for all the advice. Jam making might be easier than I thought!

TheSpottedZebra Thu 15-Sep-16 11:35:20

Would you recognise a crab apple? They're everywhere at the mo, and full of pectin. You could always bung some of them in and re boil if it doesn't set, and you don't have shop pectin.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 15-Sep-16 13:18:58

I've heard you can add lemon juice to help it set too.

I do the saucer in freezer and blob of jam on it to see if it's good.

Getting tempted now to do a batch of jumble jam!

toffeeboffin Thu 15-Sep-16 13:22:51

Why don't you do compote too?

Just stew everything lightly with a bit of water till the fruit is soft and thick. Really good with yogurt, custard, ice-cream etc. Nice in smoothies too.

toffeeboffin Thu 15-Sep-16 13:25:54

P. S. Freezes well too.

KanyesVest Thu 15-Sep-16 16:35:40

It's done! Very runny, but bloody gorgeous. I didn't want to put in too much sugar since the fruit was very sweet and obviously the apples I put in weren't enough for pectin purposes. I had to make scones too, so I could sample it properly grin. I'll be saving all the tips for my next attempt; MIL dropped over a huge bag of apples from her orchard, so I'll have a go over the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now