Talk

Advanced search

Tell me your cottage pie secrets

(39 Posts)
anothergilmore Sat 10-Sep-16 15:49:31

What are you adding to your cottage pie to make it extra tasty?

I usually just follow a traditional recipe and would love some inspiration!

WanttoFindWorkLifeBalance Sat 10-Sep-16 15:51:18

I like the delia tweak of putting leeks on the top

WanttoFindWorkLifeBalance Sat 10-Sep-16 15:52:47

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/british/shepherds-pie-with-cheese-crusted-leeks

WatchMeSoar Sat 10-Sep-16 15:52:59

Cannabis, can't go wrong!

PaperdollCartoon Sat 10-Sep-16 15:54:34

I make mine vegan so would definitely recommend trying a meat free version!

But - adding carrot or sweet potato to the mash on top is a winner for me regardless of the filling.

Muddlewitch Sat 10-Sep-16 15:55:49

Can I come to your house for tea Watchme?

Palomb Sat 10-Sep-16 15:56:00

I don't think I've ever read a recipe for cottage pie and every time I make mine it's a bit different. I'm
Making one now and I've put carrots and onions and a garlic cube in to soften, I'd use celery if I had any but I don't today. Then brown the mince, add cubed parsnip and turnip some water and some oxo cubes the. cook till its done, add some peas and the top with frozen mash and put in the oven until ready. I might put some cheese on top of I'm feeling adventurous. Or sweet potato mash instead of normal.

Some people put tinned tomatoes in theirs but im not a fan.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 10-Sep-16 16:00:45

red lentils are good for bulking it out and giving it body

I sometime throw a tin of baked beans in to the meat part too...saves dirtying another pan later!

herbs in the mash...or even a colcannon type affair

otherwise use celery (yes...I could not give a bugger if you don't normally like it!) with the onions....sweat them properly until they are on the edge of golden

brown off the meat PROPERLY...don't just warm it through, it wants to be seared and full of tastiness!

de glaze the pan...use stock, wine or water

use decent mince...and not always super low fat...fat has flavour!

Plenty of S&P ...so many folks don't season food properly and that is why it tastes of nothing.

ivykaty44 Sat 10-Sep-16 16:03:04

I find tinned tomatoes ruin a cottage pie, it makes the pie bitter

2014newme Sat 10-Sep-16 16:04:04

Tomato ketchup.

SwedishEdith Sat 10-Sep-16 16:06:04

Gary Rhodes recipe is good. I just think it's a pretty boring dinner though whatever you try to do to it. It's just easy comfort food.

Hoppinggreen Sat 10-Sep-16 16:10:06

Bovril in the mince and a mix of ordinary and sweet potatoes on top.
Not very exciting but really tasty

wobblywonderwoman Sat 10-Sep-16 16:10:35

Oxtail soup

SwedishEdith Sat 10-Sep-16 16:10:53

Could't find a link but someone has posted it on Yahoo. Well, Shepherd's Pie but same thing.

"This is Gary Rhodes version of Sheperd's Pie which I use all the time. Its a bit time consuming, but worth it, in fact I've just made it for dinner.

675g lamb, minced
25g lamb or beef dripping
or 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
knob of butter
3 small onions finely chopped
3 carrots, diced
4 celery sticks, diced
1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp tomato puree
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp tomato ketchup
3 glasses of red wine
25g plain flour
200ml beef/veal jus or chicken stock
900g mashed potatos, made with very little butter or milk.

1. Season the minced lamb, then fry in batches in the dripping or the oil in a very hot pan to just seal and colour the meat, draining each batch in a colander.
2. In a separate pan, over a medium heat, melt the butter. Add the vegetable and herbs, and season with salt, pepper and cinnamon. Cook for 5-6 minutes until starting to soften.
3. Add the lamb, cook for a few minutes, then add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and tomato ketchup and stir. Add half a glass of wine and reduce by three-quarters: repeat this process until all the wine has been used. Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the jus or stock and bring to a gentle simmer, then cook for 1-11/2 hours. If the sauce becomes too thick add a little water, but don't let the sauce become to thin.
5. During the last 1/2 of cooking make the mash. Reduce the amount of butter and milk or cream you would normally use to give a slightly firmer topping.
6. Pre heat the grill. Spoon the mince into an ovenproof dish, then spoon or pipe the mash on top. Brush or dot some butter over the mash and grill until golden."

ChipInTheSugar Sat 10-Sep-16 16:11:25

Ketchup! And nicely salted mash.

OurBlanche Sat 10-Sep-16 16:13:18

Mushroom ketchup.

Soften onions, add carrots etc, add mince. Shake a tablespoon of flour over mix and add about 1/2 pint of water that has had a soup spoonful of mushroom ketchup added.

I sometimes add Worcestershire too, about a teaspoon.

I also mix mince with chopped up Sunday leftover beef. I do that with chilli and spags too. Chunky pieces of leftover beef make an interesting beef mix.

I have been known to add yoghurt, sour cream or creme fraiche to the mash topping too!

MyKidsHaveTakenMySanity Sat 10-Sep-16 16:19:59

Grated carrot in the mince. Makes it juicer and far more tasty. Also cuts down the amount of meat required.

isittimeforcoffee Sat 10-Sep-16 16:20:52

Brown sauce. Lots of it. Makes a really rich and deep flavour.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 10-Sep-16 16:25:28

The Delian recipe linked above is a total winner

CalmYaTits Sat 10-Sep-16 16:25:45

Sweet potato for the mash with a bit of cheese grated on top.

Stoneagemum Sat 10-Sep-16 16:28:02

1tsp allspice in the mince mix gives a great savoury flavour. Not to be confused with mixed spice as that was just strange blush

anothergilmore Sat 10-Sep-16 16:56:19

Thanks everyone!

SenecaFalls Sat 10-Sep-16 17:02:57

We put sweetcorn in ours. We like corn.

WatchMeSoar Sat 10-Sep-16 23:56:20

Muddlewitch

I set a place!

Passmethecrisps Sat 10-Sep-16 23:58:43

The BBC good food recipe is an absolute winner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now