Anyone out there experienced at making ice cream?

(17 Posts)
Salutarychoring Fri 09-Sep-16 08:47:31

Hello. I just wondered if some kind person could advise me please about how long in advance it is best to make home made ice cream?

We are entertaining next weekend and I want it to be really nice (not crystallised or anything) and a good flavour.

Would it be best to make the ice cream a few days in advance or ok a week in advance?

For info: I am making two sorts - one for adults (sharp, lots of alcohol) and one for children (vanilla or strawberry). We will be feeding 8 adults and 7children. How much do I need to make?

Thanks very much.

Also, does anyone have any top tips (have only made ice cream a couple of times before)? I am using a new ice cream machine for this occasion if I can find it in the basement.

Salutarychoring Fri 09-Sep-16 08:57:49

Sorry - terrible writing there - want the ice cream to be nice (as well as the the rest of the food!)

Highlove Fri 09-Sep-16 09:14:41

A week or a few days or whatever will be fine. Afaik, crystals are about the actual freezing process rather than how far in advance you do it - though obviously it doesn't keep indefinitely!

Are you following a recipe for the adult one? Just that a lot of booze can stop it freezing..

I like to serve a homemade biscuit of some sort with mine...but obviously that's not compulsory.

God I love ice cream.

Salutarychoring Fri 09-Sep-16 12:01:40

Thanks Highlove

I am relieved I can make it well in advance!

Yes, I am definitely using a recipe for the adult - don't have the confidence to do otherwise - it is made with bitter oranges.

Noted about the alcohol - thank you!

Salutarychoring Fri 09-Sep-16 12:48:05

that should have read, adult version!

reallybadidea Fri 09-Sep-16 12:54:03

Homemade ice cream freezes absolutely solid! You need to get it out a good while in advance of when you want to serve it or you will be hacking lumps off with an ice pick. The alcohol will help with the adult one but for non-alcoholic versions I often add a tablespoon of liquid glycerin which keeps it a bit softer without affecting the flavour.

Salutarychoring Fri 09-Sep-16 13:08:18

That's a great tip! Thanks Reallybadidea!

Blondie1984 Fri 09-Sep-16 16:24:15

Personally I've always found that it tastes better the sooner your eat it after making - especially for ones like vanilla - it might be different for one that has alcohol in

What sort of ice cream maker are you using? If it is one where you need to pre-freeze the bowl then make sure you leave enough time for the bowl to re-freeze in between batches

Salutarychoring Fri 09-Sep-16 19:13:21

Thanks very much indeed Blondie! Sadly, I can't tell you which machine I am using until I find it which tells you something about the state of my basement but thanks for v much for that tip!

Also noted about freshness of ice cream and flavour. My dsis said the same thing which is why I was asking.

DoctoraNova Fri 09-Sep-16 20:55:50

Would love to see the recipe and feed back afterwards. I too have an ice cream machine and have only made a lime and mint sorbet in it but would love to make dairy ice cream, just gall at the possible waste of it turns out crap (sorry).

Homemade biscuit sounds, a very basic shortbread is so simple and so impressive, and with ice cream would blow my tiny mind. 😁

Pestilence13610 Fri 09-Sep-16 21:01:38

Foolproof ice cream recipe, made in cheap machine where you freeze the bowl.
1 cup double cream
1 cup greek yoghurt
1 cup cordial (elderflower is good)
1 shot alcohol
Churn until thick, eat within a week.

Statelychangers Fri 09-Sep-16 22:29:59

I would try to make one ice cream for everyone and add homemade biscuits - shortbread or chewy cookies. Make it as fresh as possible.
Good ones...honeycomb, brown bread - really!, passion fruit, marmalade and dark choc (not a kiddie choice though). Don't do chocolate - it's too hard to get right. Don't skimp on fat and sugar in the attempt to make it healthy.

Salutarychoring Sat 10-Sep-16 13:15:06

Thanks for responses.!

Will let you know (good or bad!) DoctoraNova!

Have noted that recipe thanks Pestilence (foolproof always good!). Can't get elderflower cordial where I live (abroad) but noted for when I return to UK!

Statelychangers don't worry - as my waistline will testify- I'm not one for skimping blush grin I may yet end up doing one ice cream for everyone. I always have ambitious plans but rl has a habit of getting in the way. -We'll see - still finalising menu! Thanks for suggestions!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 10-Sep-16 13:18:49

I make a really good choc ice cream - make custard (or ready made will do) melt 200g dark choc into it, add 200 ml cream and churn

KnockMeDown Sat 10-Sep-16 13:23:05

My top tip for when using the bowl which you need to freeze beforehand, is to turn the machine on first, then pour the mixture through the opening onto the rotating paddle. Otherwise the mixture freezes onto the sides of the bowl and the paddle won't turn. I learnt this the hard way, and had to chisel said mixture off the bowl , leaving dents and scratches.

This may seem obvious to ice cream making oficionados, but I hadn't used the machine in a long time, and the instructions were nowhere to be found. blush

Costacoffeeplease Sat 10-Sep-16 13:40:35

Yes that's a very easy mistake to make!

Salutarychoring Sat 10-Sep-16 14:47:42

Costa that sounds delicious!

Really great tip - thanks Knockmedown!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now