Talk

Advanced search

Ready, steady, cook...If you had these base ingredients what recipe/s would you make

(20 Posts)
sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 09:44:17

Just trying to find meal planning inspiration that will use up some stuff that's been sat in my cupboards for months (or yearsblush).

I am going shopping today or tomorrow so can get extra ingredients and fresh stuff.

I have got:
Tinned tomatoes
Dry porcini mushrooms
Red kidney beans (ideally these need to be disguised for my kids to eat...)
Whole chestnuts
Chestnut purée
Tahini
Coconut milk
Polenta (again kids not keen)
Borlotti beans
Chickpeas
Yellow split peas
Red lentils
Risotto rice
Thai sticky rice

Obviously I should make hummus. Other than that I'm at a loss (summer holiday induced brain deadness)

Help!

PurpleDaisies Wed 07-Sep-16 09:49:32

Mushroom risotto

Bean chilli with various types of bean and tinned tomatoes

A Thai curry with the coconut milk and sticky rice

Dahl with the lentils and yellow split peas

You could make falafel instead of houmous with the chick peas

You could use the polenta in a cake depending on what form it's in.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 07-Sep-16 09:49:55

porcininis and risotto rice...get some nice fresh fancy mushrooms and make a risotto...maybe fling in the chestnuts?

borlotti/kidney ...chilli of some sort...lots of minced beef and make enough for the freezer

yellow split peas...dhal? or I really love ham and yellow split pea soup with crusty bread

lentils....bulk up with minced lamb/beef/veg to make a shepherd's/cottage/shepherdess pie ...cheesy mash on top

tahini and coconut milk...I'd go chickeny/curry ish/coriandery

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 07-Sep-16 09:52:48

oh yes..falafel! YUM! nice warm pittas and lots of soured cream and salady stuff.

you could try polenta chips?? Dh really really liked them, no one else did, so we have never had them again...poor man. essentially, make your polenta, cut it into chip shapes and fry. Or if it is ready made you are half way there.

sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 09:54:22

Thanks purple! All good ideas, especially falafel and polenta cake - should go down well with the dc.

Not expecting them, but any recipe links would be gratefully received smile

Especially child friendly recipes that may involve my dry ingredients...

Allalonenow Wed 07-Sep-16 09:56:42

Make up the polenta, roll out and cut into small disks. Make a tomato and mushroom sauce. Layer the polenta disks and the sauce as if you were making lasagna, top with cheese or cheese sauce and bake.

Make a bean stew or soup with the various beans and chick peas. Add sausages or bacon for more flavour.

Use the chestnut purée to make Mont Blanc.

sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 09:58:49

Thanks tondelay!

Ham and split pea soup sounds amazing, and I'd never have thought of it!

Sadly I have tried fried polenta slices, made with cheese, thinking dc would yum them up. One small suspicious bite each and they were roundly rejected sad

Dc can throw me the occasional surprise - like the tikka masala I made last night thinking they'd hate and they came back for more, but generally they are quite unadventurous food wise. I keep trying though.

lemonzest123 Wed 07-Sep-16 09:59:53

I deffo vote mushroom risotto, get a ciabatta loaf and some salted butter to dunk in it, delicious!!

sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 10:01:25

Ooh, all, that polenta thingy sounds yum!

BiddyPop Wed 07-Sep-16 10:03:59

Use the coconut milk and thai rice, with some fresh veg (including ginger, chillis and, um, lemongrass? for the paste?) to make a thai curry - get a red or green paste if you prefer not to faff making your own (I cheat that way!).

Definitely mushroom risotto, and use the water you reconstitute the dried mushrooms in as part of the "stock" for the rice.

I use borlotti beans in a slow cooked dish with pork hocks (knuckles) - a pork shoulder would work well too - a sort of slow casserole.

Bean casserole with lots of different beans and the tomatoes? Maybe as a side dish?

Kidney beans tend to scream chilli at me, but I'd put them in a mixed bean casserole or a mixed bean salad with a nice tang of vinegar.

Tahini and chickpeas for hummus?

Beans and lentils and chickpeas for the basis of a veggie curry sauce - use things like butternut squash, cauliflower, sweet potatoes etc as well? I think Jamie Oliver had a recipe

Sorry I don't have links but I hope that helps a little

sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 10:04:34

Yes lemon, mushroom risotto it will be this week! Oddly I have a rice hater, and 4 mushroom haters but they all liked mushroom risotto last time I made it, and I have stock from the Sunday chicken so that's perfect!

all just looked up Mont Blanc - sounds fab and I can be lazy and buy the meringues so an easy pudding! Yay smile

sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 10:06:36

Yes biddy it helps! The links was a nice to have - bit of a cheeky ask. I'm getting lots of inspiration here smile

Allalonenow Wed 07-Sep-16 10:28:15

Oh yes! Ready made meringues are grand.

If you've chicken stock and rice, how about Greek egg and lemon soup?

Any mix of your beans, lentils, chestnuts that you have left over, add some onions & diced bacon/ham/sausage and use to stuff cabbage leaves. Fold them into little parcels and bake with tomato or cheese sauce.

sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 11:08:09

Not heard of Greek egg and lemon soup - it sounds lovely but not sure dc would go for it having looked at pictures on Google...

Love the stuffed cabbage leaves idea!

Making my shopping list now!

cdtaylornats Wed 07-Sep-16 14:00:22

Polenta chips

www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/537783/polenta-chips

lovesmycake Wed 07-Sep-16 14:11:06

use the polenta to make cornbread with a tin of sweetcorn chucked in. use the chestnuts along with some bacon in with sprouts or cabbage as a side dish for a roast. tahini makes a nice salad dressing and borlotti beans make a nice houmous with some smoked paprika and lemon juice.

sixinabed Wed 07-Sep-16 22:49:38

Thanks for the link cd!

Mmm, loves didn't realise you could make hummus with any other beans. I will investigate this...!

Thanks to all. I've done my online shop and made my meal plan - now I just need to stick to it, and cross fingers that the dc like it grin

Allalonenow Thu 08-Sep-16 14:52:28

Try haricot blanc whizzed up with some olive oil and parmesan/pecorino, or haricot vert with a spoon of pesto.

sixinabed Thu 08-Sep-16 22:04:40

That sounds delish!

DeliveredByKiki Fri 09-Sep-16 05:51:21

Tahini mixed with lemon juice, garlic and enough water to get the consistency you want is my go to dressing on EVERYTHING

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now