Talk

Advanced search

Toad in the hole recipes please

(35 Posts)
Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 06-Sep-16 13:14:07

I can cook sausages, I can cook Yorkshire puddings, but cannot put them in the same pan to make toad in the hole.

I brown the sausages, use Delia's yorkshires recipe, put the sausages in and oven pan, heat it in a hot oven, pour the batter over and cook until done.

But they never seem to work properly.

Help me!

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Tue 06-Sep-16 13:20:09

Auntie bessie

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Tue 06-Sep-16 13:21:19

I have a fan oven and i think the airflow affects the yorksire so i end up with sausage pancake

YesILikeItToo Tue 06-Sep-16 13:26:10

What is wrong? I don't pre-brown the sausages, only the fat. Heat fat in tray, pour in batter, stick sausages in.

bigTillyMint Tue 06-Sep-16 13:27:29

I pre-brown the sausages, get the oven really hot, lots of fat and then pour batter over the sausages.

Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 06-Sep-16 13:28:31

What are your batter mixes?

BikeRunSki Tue 06-Sep-16 13:29:51

8 sausages
4 eggs
4 fl oz milk
4 oz SR flour

Preheat oven to 200o C.
Brown the sausages in the toad tin
Make batter, and season to taste. Pour over sausages, bake for 40 mins.

Sometimes I make it in Yorkshire Pudding tins with cocktail sausages.

Mymouth - does it help if you don't use the fan option?

I really struggle with toad in the hole too - I thought it might be that I was using a pyrex dish, so it couldn't get hot enough - so I bought a metal roasting tin and used that - but still got sausage pancake. Then I thought it might be the batter I was using - so I followed a recipe to the letter, but got sausage pancake again.

But I am using a fan oven, so it could be that.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 06-Sep-16 13:39:06

I have had issues with Toad in the Hole, but my lot are very agreeable and never pass comment if it is burly and flat or pouffed up like a golden crispy cloud

I have had good results by using this yorkshire pudding recipe

100g flour (strong or plain)
200ml milk
50ml water
2 eggs

I tend to use eight sausages, and I also like it with almost caramelised onions in.

that does a med/large roasting tin and pouffes beautifully nine times out of ten...the one time out of ten I blame the oven, it is a temperamental old range.

Having said that, I will pass on my top tip which is never make more batter...if you have more than three or four to feed just add more sausages. It works. It's always enough.

minipie Tue 06-Sep-16 13:44:49

In what way is it not working Blue?

I tend to get risen pouffy yorkshire round the edges and then unrisen stuff in between the sausages

I quite like it like that though grin

I brown the sausages first, get the fat very hot and then pour the batter around the sausages not on top of them. Metal dish

Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 06-Sep-16 13:49:29

More a flat pancake like SDT, so I end up doing them separately so I get good yorkshires.

Thanks for all the tips.

GinAndOnIt Tue 06-Sep-16 13:49:30

I have a fan oven. Heat at 200, cook sausages first, then pour batter in. But don't take the dish out of the oven, just pour the batter in while it's still in.

Batter: 4 heaped tablespoons of plain flour, make a well, crack an egg in the middle. Whisk it all up together. Then add dashes of milk until it's double cream consistency. Pour in. If I use any more than one egg it all goes wrong (and stodgy)

Palomb Tue 06-Sep-16 13:50:53

My toad has been drastically improved since I got a proper heavy weigh cast iron dish to make it in.

Part cook some sausages in the pan and then add the batter while it's on a higher heat and shove it in the oven till its done.

3 eggs, some plain flour to make a stiff paste then enough milk to let it down. Salt and pepper.

GinAndOnIt Tue 06-Sep-16 13:51:42

Also, don't open the oven at all to check on it during cooking once batter is in, although I'm sure you know that!

Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 06-Sep-16 19:27:49

I will report back Sun eve!

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 06-Sep-16 19:38:40

Never had a toad in the hole fail yet. Touch wood.

I heat up the oil or fat at the highest setting for 10 mins, chuck the sausages in for 5-10 mins then open the oven door quickly and pour in the batter while they are on the tray. No more than a minute with the door open. Leave plenty of room in the oven for them to rise. Don't open the oven door at all. 20-25 minutes.

Secret for me - I use an enamel tin and only a thin coating of the batter - 2cms high at most.

My pud recipe is the same as everyone's - milk, flour and eggs, salt and pepper. But I crack the eggs into a measuring beaker (actually one of DS old baby bottles) then use the same ml of flour and milk. Then whisk in a jug lightly.

1frenchfoodie Wed 07-Sep-16 07:22:34

Hugh FW has one in his meat book that has never failed for us. Love toad in the hole.

sashh Fri 09-Sep-16 02:13:36

The sausages make a difference, if you use cheap sausages then the fat comes out in to the YP and makes it into a sort of biscuit.

You need a metal tin and animal fat (it gets hotter)

Put the oven on high, put the tin and sausages in for 15 mins - the tine will start to smoke, after 15 mins pour in the batter and leave for another 15 mins

Blueisthemagicnumber Sun 11-Sep-16 19:02:22

Well it was a success!

I put a small amount of oil in my big metal roasting tin. Put the tin in the oven at 200, put the sausages in for 20 mins, put a little more oil in the pan, waited for it to heat up, then poured over the batter with the majority of the tin in the oven. Fifteen minutes later it was ready. Served with broccoli, carrots and mange tout.

My apple and black berry pie was a disaster, on the other hand!

Ineedmorelemonpledge Mon 12-Sep-16 00:12:48

Looks fab!

YesILikeItToo Mon 12-Sep-16 07:18:54

Does look good. Would it be rude to ask if you used a higher quality of sausage than usual? I thought that was the most interesting comment!

Blueisthemagicnumber Mon 12-Sep-16 09:45:23

Possibly, Waitrose free range pork sausages. I generally buy sausages at Farmers Markets rural living so do go for high quality ones.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 13-Sep-16 10:18:50

What batter recipe did you go for in the end Blue? I am intrigued by the vast variations on this thread.

BossWitch Tue 13-Sep-16 10:22:59

Now you've cracked it, try adding finely chopped red onion and grated cheese to the batter... delicious smile

Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 13-Sep-16 16:47:51

Tinkly I broke three eggs into a jug, took note of the ml, and did the same for flour and milk.

That might be too much for my family Boss they are purists when it comes to Yorkshire puddings, though we are looking forward to Bake Off this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now