Talk

Advanced search

Help!!! Cake tin sizing for birthday cake

(7 Posts)
Queazy Fri 02-Sep-16 20:20:42

Right I'm making my dd's doll cake. I'm not a baker. I'm an idiot. I should have bought it blush

I'm using a Nigella choc cake recipe I know and love, but it says to bake in two 20cm cake tins. I want to use a large 23cm tin and a 2 litre Pyrex dish to make the doll. I have no idea how to roughly work out the amount of mixture I need. Two of Nigella's recipe or more?!?! 23cm is obviously bigger, but I plan to slice in half and ice. The 2l dish is going to be on a wing and a prayer.

Can you smell the fear... smilesmilesmile

Queazy Fri 02-Sep-16 20:21:10

p.s. Thank you in advance to anyone who read to the end and can help smile

1frenchfoodie Fri 02-Sep-16 21:52:08

To convert it to the pyrex dish you will need to work out the volume required for the height you want vs the volum of the original tin. This website explains how:

www.cocoandme.com/2010/10/12/cake-pan-size-conversion-the-formula/

For the round - round conversion this is a bit easier to follow

www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Cake_tin_conversion_charts

Catsgowoof Sat 03-Sep-16 08:19:04

For unusual shaped tins I use water. So basically fill with water and tip into a measuring jug

Queazy Sat 03-Sep-16 13:10:42

Thank you so much - so, so helpful!

KP86 Sat 03-Sep-16 13:20:55

I would say 4 times the normal recipe. If you have extra you can make cupcakes.

lifeisaconundrumattimes Sat 03-Sep-16 13:22:37

I am always surprised at how much more mixture you need for only tin that seems only fractionally smaller! DEFINITELY calculate it online as carefully as you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now