Talk

Advanced search

Your best veggie chilli recipe please!

(22 Posts)
Mummyoftwo91 Tue 30-Aug-16 08:59:21

Haven't made one in years need something to impress dh tomo who's recently gone veggie

MrsBrightside80 Tue 30-Aug-16 09:00:52

The pinto bean chilli in the River Cottage veg book is lovely.

Rinceoir Tue 30-Aug-16 09:01:26

This is excellent.

Also good

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 30-Aug-16 09:02:17

This black bean chilli is awesome.

PurpleDaisies Tue 30-Aug-16 09:06:22

eattherightstuff.squarespace.com/blog/2009/2/1/white-chilli.html

This is really nice as something a bit different.

Mummyoftwo91 Tue 30-Aug-16 09:42:07

Thank you everyone! What would you usually serve with the chilli, I was thinking rice but is there anything a little special I can put on the side?

PurpleDaisies Tue 30-Aug-16 10:07:03

Normally just rice or jacket potatoes. For a special occasion I'd add corn on the cob and garlic bread, possible sour cream, guacamole and tacos.

Rinceoir Tue 30-Aug-16 10:07:04

I normally do corn salsa, avocado, sour cream, cheese and tortilla wraps lightly toasted in a pan.

Lovely sides for chilli:

Soured cream
Grated cheese
Guacamole
Cherry tomato salsa
Mango salsa
Home 'pickled' onions - just thin slices of red onion, salt and pepper, lime juice. They are delicious.

Mummyoftwo91 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:59:43

Oh amazing ideas ! Thanks ladies

YelloDraw Tue 30-Aug-16 13:33:24

What would you usually serve with the chilli, I was thinking rice but is there anything a little special I can put on the side?

Tortia chips, a nice salsa, sour cream and some grated cheese and fresh coriander. Oh, and maybe guacamole as well!

Its all about the toppings.

cudbywestrangers Tue 30-Aug-16 13:58:19

Another option is to cook the chilli, put in an oven dish then put sour cream, nachos and Mozzarella on top then pop in the oven products or under grill to melt the cheese...

Mummyoftwo91 Tue 30-Aug-16 14:29:35

I'm thinking about doing a little pick and mix of toppings so we can each decide, the mozzarella thing sounds Devine but dh is not a huge fan of cheese why did I marry him

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 30-Aug-16 14:36:27

Make some coriander and lime rice.

Step - How do you do your rice? it sounds gorgeous.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 30-Aug-16 15:46:00

Just cook the rice as normal and then mix in some lime juice and coriander during the fluffing up part at the end. Really, really easy.

Thank you. Will definitely be trying that.

PurpleDaisies Tue 30-Aug-16 16:36:17

remus you can also get a nice lemon or lime flavour rice if you throw in the leftovers from squeezed lemons/limes if you've used the juice for something else.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 30-Aug-16 17:39:41

I usually cheat and use a bottle of lime juice and frozen coriander because I will inevitably gave forgotten a fresh lime in the supermarket and used the coriander for something else.

Thanks. I've always got bottles of lemon and lime juice in the fridge - invaluable for making guacamole and salad dressings.

Mummyoftwo91 Thu 01-Sep-16 08:46:54

Chilli was a huge success step I made your rice, there was literally zero leftovers and I'm actually going to make it again tonight it was that good!

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Thu 01-Sep-16 08:55:36

Brilliant. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now