Talk

Advanced search

Dumpling help needed

(9 Posts)
supercaliforniasurfer Tue 23-Aug-16 21:20:11

Dh loves traditional food like stew with dumplings, I thought I would make some this weekend. Last time I tried to make them they were kind of two textured. The side in the stew was a bit more doughy ( I wondered if undercooked but they had the right time) the top that was sticking out was much more spongy.

Does anyone have any tips? Was I supposed to turn them? I added the flour and Akora with the water, and kneaded til it seemed mixed but wasn't whether I should have left for a while before using or maybe should have kneaded for longer.

I don't really like dumplings so it's not something I would ever order when out to know how they are supposed to be. Dh ate them happily enough but we have guests this time do would like them to be right!

Justmuddlingalong Tue 23-Aug-16 21:26:43

I turn them over a few times while they're cooking in the stew. Don't over knead them.

ootsideinbacktaefront Tue 23-Aug-16 21:30:55

Dont knead then just stir with a knife until the ingredients are mixed then gently roll them. Should feel nice and light.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Tue 23-Aug-16 21:37:59

Make sure the stew is bubbling hot and throw them in. Don't open the stew for 20 minutes.

ChickyDuck Tue 23-Aug-16 21:52:20

They are supposed to be two textured! That's what makes them delicious. The aide touching the stew as soft and almost gooey with gravy. The top part is light, crisp and a bit crumbly.

My DP makes delicious although not especially traditional dumplings: half the weight of mature cheddar to self raising flour, add water till combined and very slightly sticky.

Plop on top of the stew and cook with the lid off for 20/30 mins or until golden! grin

FoofFighter Tue 23-Aug-16 21:52:24

agree don't knead them, roughly stir then put dollops in. And leave them alone, don't roll over or anything just leave them covered until doubled in size.

Just had awesome sausage stew and dumplings tonight :D

ChickyDuck Tue 23-Aug-16 21:52:54

*the side touching the stew

supercaliforniasurfer Tue 23-Aug-16 22:03:20

Ok shall try again, with no kneading at all! I am slightly bleugh about the fact they are supposed to be two textured! Maybe I'll try the cheese to give them some more taste.

supercaliforniasurfer Tue 23-Aug-16 22:04:44

Some of you are saying lid off (which is what I did last time following recipe instructions) and others saying covered. Does it actually make a difference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now