We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fried bread

(26 Posts)
ProseccoBitch Sun 21-Aug-16 15:43:14

Seeing someone else's fried breakfast post just now set me thinking about this.....

When I was a kid fried breakfasts always included fried bread, which I LOVED. I think my Mum used to cook it in the frying pan that had had the bacon in it as it always tasted bacon-y. Whenever I've tried it I've buggered it up, it's always dry and hard whereas Mum's was always superbly greasy!

Any top tips for achieving optimum results?

HardToDeal Sun 21-Aug-16 15:45:02

You need loads and loads of fat, that's the thing, basically obscene amounts because it soaks it all up. Delicious but a rare treat!

pinkieandperkie Sun 21-Aug-16 15:51:10

Yep fried bread was one of my pregnancy cravings. Lots of oil is needed as it soaks in the bread. Too little oil makes it too toast like.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 21-Aug-16 15:53:13

You can make it even if you grill your bacon. Use your bread to wipe up the bacon fat collected at the bottom of your grill pan - if there is enough dip both sides in, otherwise one side will do. Do it fairly quickly as you are aiming for lightly coated rather than soggy and greasy. Then toast the bread under the grill.

Heratnumber7 Sun 21-Aug-16 15:53:15

Bacon isn't as fatty as it used to be, so you'll need to add something like lard to fry the bread in.

ProseccoBitch Sun 21-Aug-16 15:58:52

Am now craving fried bread immediately but have to go out.

WalrusGumboot Sun 21-Aug-16 16:29:28

Not much point grilling your bacon if you're just going to eat the fat in some bread anyway grin

SilverBat Mon 22-Aug-16 17:57:20

If you want authentic like your mum cooked, then it's lard I'm afraid, like Herat said.
Dry fry your bacon first, then keep warm and put lard in the pan.
Heated really hot and quickly cooked.

PolterGoose Mon 22-Aug-16 18:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DailyMailEthicalFail Mon 22-Aug-16 18:03:47

Fried bread with runny fried eggs on top.
Yum.
LOVE fried bread.

But, yes, allow about a cup of oil per slice sad

PepsiPenguin Mon 22-Aug-16 18:04:36

I use sunflower oil loads of it put a tiny bit of bread in and when that bubbles pop in the bread and then quickly turn and out

I love love love fried bread and have had it twice this month smile but christmas was time before

Yum yum yum

Squabblesallaround Mon 22-Aug-16 18:10:38

Omg your poor arteries!! do it with a shit ton of lard think I need some now grin

PepsiPenguin Mon 22-Aug-16 18:17:46

I know it is terrible terrible! I prefer it with sunflower oil think it's because that's how my mum has always made it

I ordered take away before seeing this thread and now I wish I hadn't as fried bread and egg would have been much better grin

PolterGoose Mon 22-Aug-16 18:21:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrouchyKiwi Mon 22-Aug-16 18:22:02

I add butter to the pan when I do it. And then eat the delicious fried bread with lots of honey on it.

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Aug-16 18:28:07

I love fried bread!

One Eyed Jack is my favourite - where you remove a bit of bread from the middle and fry an egg in it.

foxessocks Mon 22-Aug-16 18:34:34

Ooh fried bread I haven't had that since I was a kid we used to have it with a fry up sometimes on a Saturday night! I've never made it for myself. You don't see it served with fry ups much when you go out for breakfast I guess because of its unhealthiness...but as a treat it would be great!

Hmm thinking about when I can next have a fry up now...

GrouchyKiwi Mon 22-Aug-16 18:35:18

We called that an Eagle's Eye growing up, Worra.

GoulashSoup Mon 22-Aug-16 18:35:27

A friend once showed me to butter the bread first (on both sides) and then fry. Works really well.

SilverBat Mon 22-Aug-16 18:44:03

So I just googled lard calories - 115 in a single tablespoon!!!
I suppose my high and quick advice would mean less absorbed, but still shock

Pinkheart5915 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:51:19

We're having a fry up for dinner tonight as a treat, I cover the pan in lard and it's awesome lovely and greasy

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Aug-16 19:03:19

Grouchy my kids called it 'Egg In The Hole'.

Straight to the point I suppose grin

Roussette Mon 22-Aug-16 19:24:57

We always have friend bread with eggs n bacon! I love it

Tighnamara Wed 24-Aug-16 18:16:49

I used to love fried bread with marmalade on when I was little - might just have to make it again to see if I still like it ...

GrouchyKiwi Wed 24-Aug-16 19:08:52

I had some tonight made with the fat left after cooking pancetta and some extra butter, plus honey on the cooked bread. It was bloody lovely and I didn't share it with my children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now