Which slow cooker should I buy?

(13 Posts)
DesolateWaist Thu 18-Aug-16 11:06:21

I have some John Lewis vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. So I need a slow cooker that comes from them.
I like the look of the Crock Pot CSC 024 but I wonder if it might be over kill for a novice slow cooker owner like me.
I would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/cooking-appliances/slow-cookers/_/N-ag9

DesolateWaist Thu 18-Aug-16 11:35:18

Anyones, I'm off to JL, help me spend my money!

user1469680214 Sun 21-Aug-16 15:48:17

Try Charity shops. They turn up all the time from people who've no idea how to use them.

BBQueen Sun 21-Aug-16 15:51:46

I'd get something quite simple - the beauty of them is that timings don't need to be exact and everything can be done on one temperature, so no need for anything too complicated. Also, don't go too big, unless you have a large family. The cooker needs to be 2/3 full to work well and the meals don't lend themselves brilliantly to freezing and reheating (tend to turn to mush!)

user1469680214 Sun 21-Aug-16 15:56:55

And of course spend vouchers on something nice you want.

Spring2016 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:16:43

Size. I find small ones don't hold enough for a family, so I would get a 6 litre or larger. Make sure the crock pot lifts out of the outer part for easy washing. Mine are basic, on/off, warm, low and high settings, that is all. but my son's have more heat choices than mine and timers, and they use them regularly. I am wanting a new one myself.
I can't tell which one is Crock Pot CSC 024

user1468788068 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:21:01

Make sure you get get on that you can put the dish on the hob to brown the meat off etc first before it goes in the slow cooker...saves on having to wash up to separate pots at the end of it all. I spent about £30-40 ish on a 4 person slow cooker a few years ago even though it was just for my partner and I and it's perfect! You can always make less in it if you aren't feeding as many people, but equally you can then use it when you have people over or for batch cooking!

Spring2016 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:23:26

I found it, and like it. Pretty fancy!

Spring2016 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:27:04

Oh I didn't know they made ones that can brown meat on the hob, sort of like a Dutch oven!

PepsiPenguins Sun 21-Aug-16 16:30:20

I brought a cheap little one years ago from tesco for £20 and it was great, I use it now for making smaller dishes

Then I had vouchers for house of fraiser and brought a Sage one.... I love it! And use it all the time, best bit is it can sear the meat/veggies first saves a pan smile

DesolateWaist Sun 21-Aug-16 18:27:13

I decided against getting one in the end.
I just couldn't work out how I would fit using it into my day.
Also, as a vegetarian I'm not sure that there is much to be gained by using a slow cooker.

BBQueen Mon 22-Aug-16 17:26:37

Good call. What did you spend your voucher on instead?

DesolateWaist Mon 22-Aug-16 17:30:12

Nothing yet. It's one from having a John Lewis card so I might just wait until I have some more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now