Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for quick and healthy after school snacks

(11 Posts)
VA1983 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:16:34

I normally give me 3 and 6 year old 2 biscuits after school and if they are still hungry a piece of fruit. The problem I have is I eat the rest of the pack of biscuits after they go to bed blush I'm not sure whether to change their snack to something else so I'm not tempted by having biscuits in the house! I tried breadsticks and hummus but they eat so much of them that they were too full for their dinner! Does anyone have any ideas? For healthier snacks or to stop me eating the kids biscuits!!

Acopyofacopy Wed 17-Aug-16 20:19:02

Apple slices with peanut butter, celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins ("ants on a log"), cereal, yoghurt?

ArtyFartyQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 20:22:15

I'm interested to get some new ideas but here's what DS and sometimes DD will have after school:
Egg frittata muffins
Cinnamon toast
Fruit kebabs
Cheese scones/muffins
Bagel with peanut butter
Banana bread
Fruit/oat muffins
Flapjack
Frozen grapes
Smoothie lolly

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 17-Aug-16 20:26:51

Savoury flapjacks or savoury muffins, cheese and crackers, olives, cold squares of fritata, rice cakes, oat cakes, bruschetta, popcorn, fruit skewers (some how more exciting than regular fruit).

lastqueenofscotland Thu 18-Aug-16 12:58:50

Carrot sticks and hummus
Falafel

Rainbowshine Thu 18-Aug-16 13:01:21

Small slice of malt loaf, couple of crackers, cucumber or carrot sticks, bread sticks. You could always buy the snack packs of biscuits which may be less emptying?

Rainbowshine Thu 18-Aug-16 13:01:39

Tempting, not emptying blush

VA1983 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:11:09

Hehe, emptying is kind of right, I do empty all the biscuits each night blush thank you everyone for all the ideas I will give them a try, and also the single packs of biscuits like the Cadbury animal ones. I may be less tempted by an unopened packet!

DeliveredByKiki Fri 19-Aug-16 03:31:09

We also do the smoothie lolly thing (and I'm mean and sneaky and blend in spinach and chia seeds too) just use the cheapo lolly makers from IKEA

PedantPending Fri 19-Aug-16 20:18:05

Long time ago now, but a small glass of milk and an apple or similar.

tralaaa Fri 19-Aug-16 20:28:44

Peanut butter on Apple is lovely also bagel peanut butter and cucumber snack a jacks and cottage cheese

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now