Talk

Advanced search

potato salad - no mayo

(19 Posts)
RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 17-Aug-16 14:44:54

I lived in Germany years ago and used to have the most delicious potato salad that I have never found since.

I've tried using olive oil/lemon/white wine vinegar put on when the potatoes are still warm but it's just not the same.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the missing ingredient? I used to eat it in Stuttgart if that's any help (probably not!).

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 14:52:36

Creme fraiche?

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 14:53:56

Looking at this recipe, maybe bacon fat?

allrecipes.com/recipe/83097/authentic-german-potato-salad/

bombayflambe Wed 17-Aug-16 14:55:10

I think it's sugar.
allrecipes.com/recipe/83097/authentic-german-potato-salad/

Catam Wed 17-Aug-16 14:57:26

Condensed milk? My mate from SA gave me the recipe & it's proven v popular amongst my friends & family.

PitchFork Wed 17-Aug-16 14:59:29

when I make it (german gran's recipe) I boil finely diced onions in the gherkin liquid and pour it over the still warm potatoes.
then add (half/half) mayo and 'schmand' (soured double cream).
works well with veg mayo

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 17-Aug-16 15:02:15

The Allrecipes one looks very worthwhile!! I am making it tonight so will try this (without bacon as we're veggie but I'm sure that won't make too much difference).

Thanks ever so much - I'll be sooooo happy if this is it!

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 17-Aug-16 15:03:23

Oooh Pitchfork, gherkins! Genius!

chattygranny Wed 17-Aug-16 15:04:39

Delia Smith's from her summer book potato salad is mayo free and delicious I use limes or lemons: www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delias-summer-collection/warm-potato-salad-with-lemon-and-chive-vinaigrette

BengalCatMum Wed 17-Aug-16 15:12:41

IMO potato salad is all about the chives/spring onions mainly

RiverTam Wed 17-Aug-16 15:22:04

My parents used to make potato salad with French dressing (made with olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard and seasoning including sugar) and chopped spring onions or chives. Possibly how they do it in Norway (DM used to live there).

Igneococcus Wed 17-Aug-16 15:24:48

My mum (about 1.5 hours to the East of Stuttgart) puts a few tablespoons of vegetable stock or bouillon (from a jar or a cube) over the still warm potatoes and then a vinaigrette with a good vinegar, salt, pinch of sugar, black pepper and oil (not olive oil, sunflower or rape seed) and right at the end she mixes bacon bits under. For the bacon bits you need thick slices of bacon and fry them slowly so the fat gets released and the cubes get really crunchy. It's very nice.
Have you tried googling Schwaebischer Kartoffelsalat?

sassolino Wed 17-Aug-16 15:27:37

I think it's a mix of sugar, vinegar and soured cream. I love adding a dash of pickling liquid from gherkins or dill pickles when the potatoes are still warm, though that's not a German style salad, but Swedish style.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 17-Aug-16 15:32:36

That's a great idea - thank you Igneococcus! This one looks v promising: www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/130001055852751/Schwaebischer-Kartoffelsalat.html

and you can throw in some gherkins as well!

Stiddleficks Wed 17-Aug-16 15:36:26

I always make mine with salad cream, chives and bacon bits.

Igneococcus Wed 17-Aug-16 15:50:23

Gherkins are nice in potato salad, I sometimes put capers in but I'm aware most people don't love capers to the same extent I do.
I think that looks pretty much like most of the recipes I could find rebecca mustard seems to be down to personal preference.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 17-Aug-16 15:53:17

I have a goodly supply of Senf in the cupboard!!

Igneococcus Wed 17-Aug-16 16:02:01

That is a reassuring thought rebecca smile

eurochick Wed 17-Aug-16 16:07:43

We make a dressing with oil, vinegar, course mustard and add to chives, spring onions and potatoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now