Cabbage recipes?

(16 Posts)
theclick Sat 13-Aug-16 16:24:26

I'm after a simple cabbage recipe to make cabbage palatable to fussy DH and fussy FIL. Was thinking red onion, garlic, butter and oil and sauteeing it. Does that sound like something that could work?

For some reason I seem to think I saw a cabbage recipe on Pinterest which was sweetened somehow and I could be making it up but I swear that recipe exists!

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 13-Aug-16 16:29:52

Cook some shredded cabbage (or greens) in butter with garlic. Add a (drained) tin of white beans (I usually use haricot). Add some double cream for the last couple of minutes of cooking.

My fussy DH (who otherwise will not eat cabbage) likes this. It works better with greener cabbages than white ones (aesthetically).

Sugarandsalt Sat 13-Aug-16 16:30:01

That sounds good. You could also make a delicious Cabbage Carbonara.

overthehillandroundthemountain Sat 13-Aug-16 16:34:05

Similar to step, complete with fussy family, but I shredded some savoy cabbage, heated up olive oil in a big, flat pan, added chopped onion and garlic. Fried around for a bit, chucked in cabbage, loads of salt & pep. Put the lid on (important as it wilts cabbage and locks in flvour) and fry for 5 mins.

My DCs LOVED this, and they are very fussy - no cream, etc.

Red cabbage: a version of Delia's - add grated apple, onion, garlic, red wine vinegar, cinnamon & nutmeg and bake. Better for Christmas.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 13-Aug-16 16:39:05

Yes. Put the lid on and the cabbage will cook better.

theclick Sat 13-Aug-16 16:39:20

Thanks guys - like these recipes a lot! Adding a bit of cream isn't a bad idea at all...

SealSong Sat 13-Aug-16 16:50:14

Use in bubble and squeak, serve with good sausages and onion gravy, delish.

Blondie1984 Sat 13-Aug-16 17:02:56

I think it also depends on the sort of cabbage you are using - I always prefer the sweetheart one rather than the savoy which is more bitter

MakeJam Mon 15-Aug-16 12:10:29

Steam the whole cabbage, blanch in cold water and carefully pull the leaves off. Use to make little parcels stuffed with sausage meat or minced pork and chopped onion or whatever you fancy. Add herbs and or paprika. Return to a shallow dish put on lid and cook gently in tomato sauce.

WildIrishRose1 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:25:43

I sauté cabbage in a little butter, then add a beef oxo cube, dissolved in a little water. You don't have to add the whole cube. Cook for a couple of mins.

PurpleDaisies Tue 16-Aug-16 09:27:27

www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/emmas-cabbage-in-a-pasta

This is so much more delicious than it sounds.

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 16-Aug-16 09:37:37

Pancetta. All veg tastes good with pancetta. I do a version of creamed cabbage like this:

Shred / chop the cabbage and put it on to steam until ready (5 minutes or so). Meanwhile, put your pancetta cubes in a non-stick frying pan over a gentle heat. If you are feeling very naughty add some butter as well, although the pancetta releases plenty of its own fat. Let it cook until it starts to turn golden and a little crisp round the edges. When cooked, add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper. When the cabbage is nicely coated in the fat / butter pour in a big dash of double cream.

That is lovely as it is, but you can also grate in parmesan. This recipe is also lovely with sprouts. It's like a delicious meal in itself!

clumsypots Tue 16-Aug-16 09:42:04

I sometimes sweeten cabbage by frying in butter and adding a tsp of sugar and salt, you can add bacon too if you want. It works best with sweetheart cabbage. Probably not the healthiest way to eat cabbage but at least dd will eat it cooked this way.

TheFirie Sat 20-Aug-16 23:20:45

We love cabbage salad, so you need raw cabbage, sliced as thin as you can, dress it with salt-pepper-olive oil-and not much vinegar. Leave it for 20 mins, then add some anchovies.

EarSlaps Sat 20-Aug-16 23:30:28

I shredded a sweetheart cabbage and stir fried it in coconut oil some soy sauce. Popped the lid on for a little while too to let it steam a bit. That was delicious, it came out lovely and sweet.

I frequently stir fry cabbage with julienned carrots, a bit of soy and then some sweet chilli sauce. Lovely with some noodles and a protein item.

Otherwise I love making traditional sauerkraut, but I think that's an acquired taste. I love kimchi too.

Cookingongas Sun 21-Aug-16 10:09:59

I know your looking for side recipes but ottolenghis cabbage and Parmesan soup is amazing. I know it's soups awful, cabbage soup But it really is a beautiful recipe

www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2007/nov/17/weekend7.weekend15

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now