Talk

Advanced search

Help me reignite my flame for cooking!

(9 Posts)
logosthecat Fri 05-Aug-16 10:25:21

I've fallen out of the habit of cooking.

The main reason is that my kitchen is a hell hole. It is literally so tiny and so utterly poor in its layout that cooking in there is a misery. To get to the fridge, I have to leave the room, and go under the stairs. There is too little storage so things I need are too high for me to reach. There is no worktop space, so nowhere to put anything when cooking something more complicated.

As a result, all I do is make a big one pot curry/stew and have it day after day. In my last house, I had a lovely kitchen and I used to cook all the time. sad I feel like I've lost my confidence completely as a result.

HOWEVER, the cavalry are in sight! We are having an extension done soon and as part of this we will have a new kitchen. I'm feeling upbeat about cooking again, and in the mood to try new recipes.

What would you recommend to re-light my hob? Recipes/books v welcome - I am veggie so Super Steaks is probably not going to be much use grin

Fevertree Fri 05-Aug-16 14:35:35

following op as i feel the same but for different reasons! veggie here too! x

puffinpants Mon 08-Aug-16 16:47:37

I know he's not popular on here but there are a few really tempting veggie recipes in the latest Jamie Oliver- I've been quite tempted to try them despite the fact that dh doesn't regard it as a meal unless there is meat or fish involved...

FreeButtonBee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:05:12

The Leon cookbooks are great for veggie food and fairly practical too

Saint Nigel of Slater - appetite and kitchen diaries. Although tender (inspired by his small veggie garden might be more appropriate)

scurryfunge Mon 08-Aug-16 18:12:03

I look through Pinterest for recipe ideas. Always something new and different.

logosthecat Tue 09-Aug-16 08:14:57

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm wondering about a cookery course too, but I don't know the first thing about how to look for one.

lunalucy82 Tue 09-Aug-16 08:22:25

Vegan Richa has some great recipes and Thug Kitchen is fun too. Then there's the Tinned Tomatoes blog as well, she's got a tonne of delicious veggie recipes!

Qwebec Tue 09-Aug-16 22:10:28

Used to have a kitchen with no counter space. I used the stove top as a counter. Before starting I took all the ingredients out and placed them on the table or a chair, placed a large cutting board on the stove top and prepped everything, grouping what went together in bowls like on TV. Started cooking when that was all I had left to do. Worked wonders.
Great veggie recepy: raw PadThai

logosthecat Wed 10-Aug-16 10:25:27

qwebec That's exactly what I have to do!

It works OK for smaller meals, but cooking larger and more complex things - it's a nightmare! I can't wait to have more counter space. It's the no 1 thing that will make a big difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now