Talk

Advanced search

What books are you eating?

(14 Posts)
puffinpants Tue 02-Aug-16 21:12:50

Judy wondering what books people are enjoying cooking from at the moment? I've got the new Jamie Oliver and I've made some good and some not great things from that. I've also got the latest Hairy Dieters/ bikers book and haven't made much from that yet. Let me know if you have reccomendations from either of those?

So, what cookery books are you currently working on?

LurkyLurkerMcLurkface Tue 02-Aug-16 21:25:13

A modern way to eat and a modern way to cook (am BF a dairy allergic LO). Very chewy as hardcover (sorry)
Some lovely recipes. Also Curry by vivek Singh is excellent, as is an Indian kitchen by meera sodha

elephantoverthehill Tue 02-Aug-16 21:30:52

When I was revising for my a'levels, many years ago, it did cross my mind to eat the books and inwardly digest grin. I bought, from a boot sale, 'Veg Everyday' by Hugh FW. DS1 back from uni and has become veggie so I am trying lots of the recipes.

LurkyLurkerMcLurkface Tue 02-Aug-16 21:31:30

Ah ignore me, the meera sodha book is Made in India. No idea where an Indian Kitchen came from!
Ooh also India by pushpant pesh. It has recipes to curry anything. Love curry!

bookbook Tue 02-Aug-16 22:35:37

I can't recommend as such , but I'm just about to embark on Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi - it was a birthday present smile quite excited as I grow a lot of my own vegetables .

puffinpants Wed 03-Aug-16 10:25:22

I've been wondering about made in India .. Might have to take a look

Not sure what happened with the title ... Obviously tired and a bit literal last night!

bombayflambe Wed 03-Aug-16 10:35:49

I'm working (slowly) through Modern Cookery for Private Families' by Eliza Acton. It's a real slice of history. Working on brawns, stocks and jellies at the moment. The butcher is loving me as every couple of weeks I come in and take all the leftovers and bones away.

OldBeanbagz Wed 03-Aug-16 13:29:59

There's a new book by the Made in India author which i'm eyeing up at the moment. It's called Fresh India. Does anyone have it? Am temped to buy it whilst DH is working away this week.

I'm cooking from Leon's Fast Suppers at the moment plus have a copy of Jamie's Everyday Superfood out of the library.

YelloDraw Wed 03-Aug-16 15:38:14

Morito

Amazing stuff.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 03-Aug-16 15:56:44

The Cornershop Cookbook is a new purchase; I've already marked a dozen or so recipes to try...

1frenchfoodie Wed 03-Aug-16 18:29:56

I'm enjoying 'Samarkand', really like food from the caucasus. Made amazing satays and peanut sauce from 'Amazing Malaysian' and a few nice things ( including date and almond cookies) from 'River Cottage light and easy'. I'm a bit of a cookbookholic - 100 books and counting...

Cookingongas Wed 03-Aug-16 18:49:37

1french- what's nice from river cottage light and easy- I've found it unusually uninspiring and would like to start using it but can't find anything that grabs me. Any recommendations?

I'm back to made in India atm ( largely because I desperately want fresh India, her new book, but can't afford it) it's a lovely book. Recently made chappatis and chutney from it. Wonderful food.

I'm also using smashing plates- a Greek cookbook ice had a while but not cooked from. Another good book with few failures so far,

1frenchfoodie Wed 03-Aug-16 19:46:37

cooking from River Cottage light and easy the green salad with thai dressing (pg 171) is good as is the mackerel escabeche (pg 186) though I'd add 1/2 the fennel seeds next time. Chicken with lentils and rosemary (p258) is a good one pot if a bit sludgy looking. I liked the peach crumble (p355) though DH thought toppiing was like granola. The strawberry cashew icecream was okay but a bit of a faff if you have no reason to be dairy free. The fruity cider loaf (371) was a good light(ish) but tasty fruit loaf. It is a dense mix so I had success adding a layer of glace cherries in the middle. I liked the spiced date and almond cookies (387) though think I'd use more traditional spices than 5spice next time. The oaty cookies (384) were so so, wont make again. That is all I have made since I got it in mid may.

Cookingongas Wed 03-Aug-16 19:54:15

Thanks French I'll def try the chicken, Thai salad and cider loaf!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now