We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Non egg + protein + veggie breakfast

(22 Posts)
JanTheJam Tue 02-Aug-16 04:34:22

Any ideas?

I'm not veggie but can't stomach meat or eggs in the morning. I really want to eat some protein to help keep me full.

If I just eat cereal or toast I could eat my arm by 10.

thanks!

Ditsy4 Tue 02-Aug-16 05:03:09

Baked beans on toast, pancakes with maple syrup, smoothies.

SharingMichelle Tue 02-Aug-16 05:20:22

I often have avocado at breakfast.

cexuwaleozbu Tue 02-Aug-16 05:24:06

I've been served scrambled smoked tofu on toast which was rather nice but I have never prepared it myself so don't know how complex it is to get right.

But when you say you "can't stomach" meat or eggs in the morning is it possible that anything high protein would be similar? Rather than trying to work against the food pattern your body is asking for you could adapt to it. Perhaps start the day with fruit but don't expect that to last you till 13:00 and plan a small high protein "brunch" sandwich at your desk at 10 followed by a second small refuel at 14:00 - eating smaller meals every 3-4 hours is better for you than larger ones spaced 6 or 7 hours apart - but it does take more time and organisational competence.

Or if you can't make that work - when you say "If I just eat cereal or toast" - well there's a huge range there. If you've been having cornflakes and toast made of pre-sliced white - those are high GI foods which your body turns into glucose almost instantly. Breakfast options with complex slow-energy-release carbs should keep you full for longer e.g. unprocessed oat-based things like muesli, porridge or granola, and toast made with proper bakery bread that isn't ultra-processed and full of additives.

WildCherryBlossom Tue 02-Aug-16 05:33:00

Have a handful of almonds as a mid morning snack?

TanteRose Tue 02-Aug-16 05:35:24

dairy foods are protein - so yoghurt with fruit, cheese on toast etc.

RueDeDay Tue 02-Aug-16 06:02:52

Full fat Greek yoghurt with fruit/granola

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Aug-16 06:24:57

Peanut butter on a bagel

lastqueenofscotland Tue 02-Aug-16 09:37:11

Baked beans on toast
Peanut butter on toast

Artandco Tue 02-Aug-16 09:59:50

Greek yogurt with berries and flaked almonds

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 02-Aug-16 10:17:43

Soy cheese? Or there's a new brand of protein-heavy dairy cheese I think.

purplefox Tue 02-Aug-16 10:23:26

Fish?

toadgirl Tue 02-Aug-16 10:26:46

Arla Skyr - it has 16.5g of protein per pot and under 100 calories! Very low sugar too. Will help you feel full for longer. You can mix in fruit and nuts if you want.

Tactfulcactus Tue 02-Aug-16 10:27:54

Bircher muesli, veg chilli in a wrap with grated cheese, sourdough toast with avocado, cheese croissants

WallToWallBastards Tue 02-Aug-16 10:33:44

Feta or halloumi if you like them? A big grilled mushroom with halloumi and a bit of spinach and maybe tomato is a good hangover breakfast for this veggie and doesn't take me too long to do when I've rolled out of bed at slightly-too-late o'clock for uni. Occasionally breakfast biscuits but not convinced they're the healthy balanced breakfast the box claims.

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Aug-16 10:37:14

Avocado on toast with a bit of feta is a favourite of mine and keeps me full. I often add a poached or scrambled egg but it sounds like you're not a fan.

Mushrooms on toast (fry with spring onions, herbs and add feta/goats cheese at the end) is another popular option in the purple household. Also beans on toast.

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Aug-16 10:38:25

Forgot smoked salmon and cream cheese on toast/in a bagel.

GobblersKnob Tue 02-Aug-16 10:40:37

I have a shake of; soy milk, hemp protein powder, tsp of almond butter, a banana, and berries of some sort or mango.

Have had this every day for years and years very filling, lots of protein, very quick to prepare and consume (always running late).

MackerelOfFact Tue 02-Aug-16 10:56:09

Cottage cheese on toast with sliced tomatoes is quite nice for breakfast.

Avocado on toast as a PP suggested (add cheese if you want more protein).

Chia pudding - chia seeds soaked overnight in milk (I use almond milk) with your choice of toppings/ingredients, such as fruit, nuts, peanut butter, etc.

YelloDraw Tue 02-Aug-16 22:01:00

Cottage cheese on toast with sliced tomatoes is quite nice for breakfast

I like that but with cucumber

hollinhurst84 Wed 03-Aug-16 23:15:00

Greek yog, berries
Overnight oats (Google for recipes, good with peanut butter in)
Avocado, red onion and feta on toast

PinkyPlumet Thu 04-Aug-16 12:42:53

Porridge?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now