Talk

Advanced search

Chutney queens - can I make it in the instant pot?

(5 Posts)
logosthecat Mon 01-Aug-16 14:59:58

I'm trying to find the easiest, quickest way of making chutney. Preferably one that does not involve standing over a steaming vat of boiling vinegar for 3 hours!

I have an instant pot as my secret weapon.

Here's what I did last time:

I used apple, courgette. I shoved the prepped veg into the instant pot and pressure cooked it. Then I got rid of some of the liquid.

I then added the vinegar, sugar, spices and used a combination of 'slow cooking' and 'saute' settings to boil it down. The saute setting is, however, volcanic if not stirred.

The end result looks like a decent chutney.

However, I'm wondering: can I pressure cook, remove some of the veg liquid, and then just slow cook my way to chutney? This would save all the boiling, and allow me to do it, for example, overnight (I have a HUGE glut of courgettes to use up).

However, this is the first time I have owned a pressure cooker/slow cooker, and I don't want to set the house on fire! Am I missing anything?

logosthecat Tue 02-Aug-16 12:50:48

Anyone?

Pestilence13610 Tue 02-Aug-16 12:57:07

this one has a pressure cooker chutney (last recipe on page).
I always cook the fruit/veg in the vinegar first, then add sugar when it's soft.
Courgettes shouldn't take long to go soft.
I did red cabbage and black currant yesterday and that only took 20 mins to get soft and about 14 mins with the sugar in.

Pestilence13610 Tue 02-Aug-16 13:07:52

Courgettes also work well as bread and butter pickles.

logosthecat Wed 03-Aug-16 12:51:17

Thanks SO much pestilence! I'm going to give it a go like this: pressure cook 10 minutes, add sugar on saute (hot) to dissolve, slow cook down. The main question in my head is whether the slow cooking will actually reduce it sufficiently.

I have the loose fitting glass lid for my instant pot, and I'm hoping this lets liquid escape. If it's not done after quite a few hours, I can at least turn it onto the saute setting and finish it off, can't I?

I'm looking at this recipe for the slow cooking: mortgagefreeinthree.com/2014/09/slowcooker-christmas-spiced-chutney/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now