Argh! overcooked ragu - possible to rescue it?

(3 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Sun 17-Jul-16 12:09:17

I fell asleep while I was making the ragu last night for a lasagne to be eaten this evening. The ragu ended up cooking for 2 hours, the last hour of which it wasn't stirred at all, and although not absolutely disastrous it caught on the bottom and has very little moisture left. I carefully removed it from the pan without scraping (to avoid getting the burned bits) and stuck it in a tub in the fridge.

Is there any way to rescue this by adding some more stock or tomatoes or something to get a bit of moisture back and lessen any slightly burned flavour or should I start from scratch?

It's for friends coming for dinner so I want it to be reasonably nice!

CremeBrulee Sun 17-Jul-16 12:15:18

If it tastes burned/scorched there's not much you can do.

If not abd it's just a bit dry, i would decant it into a clean pan, add some good beef stock, a little red wine and a couple of tablespoons of tomato purée and bring to a simmer. Then taste again.

INeedNewShoes Sun 17-Jul-16 12:20:52

I've just tasted it and the flavour is ok. I'll give your suggestion a go and see how it goes. There's nothing to lose in trying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now