Talk

Advanced search

Jelly and a seven month old!!

(16 Posts)
fee77 Sat 05-Jun-04 19:07:27

Quick question, can my 7 mth old DD have sugar free jelly? Thought it would make a nice pudding!

LIZS Sat 05-Jun-04 19:26:40

tbh although probably not harmful, I wouldn't as it is rather empty calories and most packet ones have artifical sweeteners instead. However I have served a homemade version juice with a gelatine substitute at 1st bday parties.

gloworm Sat 05-Jun-04 19:33:58

doesn't it contain a lot of artifical sweetners or flavours? i dont think i would give it to my dd(also 7mths).

gloworm Sat 05-Jun-04 19:36:12

use carrageen moss instead.

Piffleoffagus Sat 05-Jun-04 20:26:01

I wouldn't at all, artificial sweeteners versus sugar, not any value in jelly at all....
why not a yoghurt or semolina or rice type pudding

JulieF Sat 05-Jun-04 22:32:15

I wouldn't give it to a 7 month old but if you do give the full sugar one without any artificial sweeteners.

For older children although it does have colorings the Asda "good for you" ready made jely is flavoured with fruit juice and has real raspberries in.

Yummy

prettycandles Sun 06-Jun-04 21:13:38

I definitely wouldn't give sugar-free, far better give the 'sugar' ones as they have fewer additives. Jelly is actually a good way to get fluids into a reluctant drinker, but what with all the colourings and c**p, by far the best way is to make your own with dilute juice and gelatine or veggy alternative - some types are as easy to use as packet jelly.

fee77 Mon 07-Jun-04 09:14:57

Thanks for the advice - she didn't get it!!! But i am running out of ideas for puddings. Any tried and tested recipies out there?

prettycandles Mon 07-Jun-04 14:51:03

A 7mo baby doesn't really need a pudding. IMO puddings become necessary when they realise that they can refuse food that you want them to eat - ie as a bribe. Yeah, I know, you're not supposed to bribe children to eat their veggies, but I'm not sure that the people who write these books ever fed real children!

Kinger Tue 27-Jul-04 19:29:53

My 7 mth old is under a dietician and she said that she could have sugar free jelly (we struggle as she is allergic to everything!). She told me to put some fruit in it as well.

Kinger Tue 27-Jul-04 19:29:54

My 7 mth old is under a dietician and she said that she could have sugar free jelly (we struggle as she is allergic to everything!). She told me to put some fruit in it as well.

JulieF Tue 27-Jul-04 23:27:23

Although I sort of agree that babies don't need puddings I used puddings in the form of rice pudding and yoghurt to boost dd's milk intake as she cut down on her milk at around 7-9 months.

AdrienneMarchand Fri 07-Nov-14 18:32:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

chocomochi Sun 09-Nov-14 19:50:47

I would make my own using gelatine leaves or agar flakes (vegetarian option) with fruit.

A nice pudding is to blend fresh berries with a bit of Greek yoghurt and freeze. Then it becomes a sort of lolly.

Or just offer fruit for pudding.

CheeseEqualsHappiness Sun 09-Nov-14 19:52:30

Could you make jelly with fruit juice, lots of fresh fruit and gelatine?

CheeseEqualsHappiness Sun 09-Nov-14 20:22:22

Frozen fromage frais is good, as is frozen mashed banana on a stick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now