Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian potato mains

(20 Posts)
TheAntiBoop Thu 14-Jul-16 20:22:52

Ds has finally decided he likes potatoes (he's 9) and I am totally rusty on potato meals! He won't eat jacket potatoes but everything else is up for grabs!

Any suggestions? Any obvious cream or cheese will lead to it being rejected by dd!

TheAntiBoop Thu 14-Jul-16 20:25:58

Actually can I edit that - doesn't have to be vegetarian!!

KindDogsTail Thu 14-Jul-16 20:30:56

Shepherds pie, and if it is vegetarian it can be made with quorn or soya mince.

Fish pie

Middle eastern stuffed potatoes
www.greenprophet.com/2012/10/mafroum-moroccan-stuffed-potatoes-recipe/

TheAntiBoop Thu 14-Jul-16 20:42:18

What would the fish pie filling be? They won't have a cheese/cream base though

KindDogsTail Thu 14-Jul-16 21:47:57

Sorry I forgot about that. You could make the creamy part with milk/or just stock thickened with corn flour if you wanted and not put in any cheese.

Lancashire Hot Pot uses potatoes
www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Lancashire+hot+pot

Is a creamy sauce made with milk OK?

OnyK Thu 14-Jul-16 22:04:02

Patatas Bravas?

TheAntiBoop Thu 14-Jul-16 22:07:12

If it is white she won't eat it!

Bravas is a good idea too. I could make it spice for ds

TobleroneBoo Thu 14-Jul-16 22:08:16

Fritters? Just saw someone mention sweet corn fritters on another thread. Bubble and squeak?

Mumteedum Thu 14-Jul-16 22:13:09

I have weird recipe from Gary Rhodes. You saute leeks in butter. You make cheesy mash which goes at the bottom of a oven dish. Then leeks . Top with breadcrumbs mixed with fried onion, herbs and teaspoon of mustard. I serve mine with roasted tomatoes for me. Ds is 5 so don't make it for him.

HanYOLO Thu 14-Jul-16 22:14:21

Cauliflower, pea and potato curry

Spanish omelette

Fishcakes/bubble and squeak

homemake potato cakes (mash based) with an poached egg on top

Egg-in-the-nest = cheesy mash, make a hole in it, crack an egg in, bake

Mumteedum Thu 14-Jul-16 22:14:22

Ohhhh and I have a fab potato cook book with a chicken/carrot potato topped shepherd's pie thing. I'll see if can find it.

HanYOLO Thu 14-Jul-16 22:16:17

You sound like our family, where the Venn diagram of what everyone will all actually happily eat consists of about 4 recognisable dishes, once you take into account everyone's list of aversions.

TheAntiBoop Thu 14-Jul-16 22:20:44

Yes Hans. I'm unreasonably excited that I can throw potato back into the mix

Chicken shepherds pie thingy sounds interesting!

Thanks for the suggestions!!

lastqueenofscotland Thu 14-Jul-16 23:06:31

Gnocchi
Hot pot
Dum aloo

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 14-Jul-16 23:12:28

pan haggerty? ....it's like a poor man's dauphnoise, sliced potatoes, layered with cheese. ham or bacon and onions or leeks into a deepish pan, sort of start off frying on the hob, but finish it n the oven with the lid on, so it sort of steam fries itself, more cheese on top, lid off for the last whiley.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 14-Jul-16 23:12:51

pan haggerty? ....it's like a poor man's dauphnoise, sliced potatoes, layered with cheese. ham or bacon and onions or leeks into a deepish pan, sort of start off frying on the hob, but finish it n the oven with the lid on, so it sort of steam fries itself, more cheese on top, lid off for the last whiley.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Sat 16-Jul-16 21:49:40

My mum used to do her own version of Spanish Omelette using whatever was in the fridge bottom. And a tin of boiled potatoes. blush

put olive oil in a frying pan and add sliced cooked new potatoes in a nice single later. when they start to colour, add whisked eggs (6-8ish), and any precooked meat/veg. cook on the stovetop till the bottom gets colour, then top with cheese and whack in the oven till set.

serious cheap (if using tinned stuff, like my entire 1980s childhood) and nice hot or cold.

TheAntiBoop Sat 16-Jul-16 21:52:12

Some good ideas. Thank you.

They both like one letter and now both like potato!!

cdtaylornats Sat 16-Jul-16 22:55:20

Stovies
Hash
Jansson’s temptation - may be a step beyond a step to far
Leek and Potato soup
Hash browns
Potato scones

TheAntiBoop Sat 16-Jul-16 23:12:54

Interesting. No cream though!!

Stories look interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now