Talk

Advanced search

Using up gram/chickpea flour

(12 Posts)
99littleducks Mon 04-Jul-16 12:19:35

No replies in baking so I will try my luck here!
So I've got 1kg of gram flour sitting in the cupboard. Usually use it for veg fritters but was wondering if anyone's used them for biscuits or cakes? Do they add a kind of nutty or bitter flavour?
Appreciate any recipes shared!

OldLagNewName Mon 04-Jul-16 12:43:49

I use it in (bread maker) bread mostly -you can substitute about a sixth of the wheat flour with gram flour before it looks or tastes significantly different. It does dry out a little more quickly but you can counteract that with an egg or two -makes it quite high protein for bread!

I've had less luck with cakes and biscuits - adults still liked them but DC didn't.

BrinjalPickle Mon 04-Jul-16 12:48:28

I've used it for Yorkshire puddings - I found a recipe online. Also socca. Never in cakes or biscuits though.

Munchkin08 Mon 04-Jul-16 15:06:21

I use it to coat fish, add a little curry powder and fry.

Blondie1984 Mon 04-Jul-16 17:03:31

I use it to make wraps to eat with curries or to stuff for lunches
You could also make a pizza base with it....

Blondie1984 Mon 04-Jul-16 17:05:27

Maybe have a look at the Mamtas Kitchen website - I'm sure there will be lots of recipes on there

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 04-Jul-16 17:05:32

Bhajis.

99littleducks Mon 04-Jul-16 17:06:57

Ok thank you for the ideas. Wraps and pizza sound interesting. I will have a look at mantas kitchen.

AdoraBell Mon 04-Jul-16 17:11:34

Blondie do you do anything different for those wraps, or is it the same as using standard wheat flour?

I also have a packet of this and not much idea of what to do with it.

NannyR Mon 04-Jul-16 17:12:21

Socca pizza is really nice and very easy. Make a runny batter with the gram flour and water and fry it like a pancake in a very hot pan on both sides till its crispy then top like a pizza and chuck it in a hot oven for ten minutes or so.

BrinjalPickle Mon 04-Jul-16 20:32:10

This website has quite a few recipes using gram flour both sweet and savoury.

Blondie1984 Mon 04-Jul-16 22:51:24

AdoraBell - i don't add egg or milk, i just use the flour (1 cup), water (approx 1cup), a little salt and pepper and then sometimes I add cumin depending on what I'm going to do with them

Then in terms of cooking it's just as you would normal pancakes - putting the batter in a hot, lightly pan, leaving for a few minutes and then flipping them over

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now