Talk

Advanced search

Sneaking in some iron

(10 Posts)
HaslandMum21 Sat 02-Jul-16 22:44:15

So, lovely 22m old son is very low in iron, probably the cause of his poor immunity. Anyone have any suggestions for iron rich meals that aren't obviously green vegetables? He loves spag bol & chilli and anything mince related but isn't falling for the dried apricots I am trying to hide in his raisins! All suggestions welcome!

Lookslikerain Sat 02-Jul-16 22:58:49

We put a tub of chopped up chicken livers in bolognaise sauce, a la Delia. It doesn't taste livery, just rich and tasty. You wouldn't know it was there and my DC (including a super fussy one) love it.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 02-Jul-16 23:02:47

Breakfast cereal and wholemeal bread if he isn't already having it.

Hummus?

You can add soybeans to pasta too and any beans are good really and lentils. lentil soup?

cdtaylornats Sat 02-Jul-16 23:05:02

Crumble some black pudding into anything mince related. If he will eat stew then beef stew with Guinness and again black pudding.

Blondie1984 Sat 02-Jul-16 23:51:21

A few things to be mindful of - although i'm sure you are already
1)The body actually finds it harder to absorb iron from non animal foods
2) Having something with vitamin C at the same time as iron rich foods helps the body to absorb the iron much more efficiently

In terms of food suggestions, I would second putting liver in the bolognaise sauce - you honestly can't taste it and actually makes it lovely and rich
Add kidney beans to your chilli
Also, the dark meat of turkey or chicken is a fairly good source

If you accompany these with green veg and either a small glass of orange juice (diluted) or follow with a satsuma then he will get a good iron hit

Has the GP suggested supplements at all?

Hopingforsomesunshine Sun 03-Jul-16 09:40:29

Any chance he would eat tinned sardines? They are surprisingly high in iron. If he won't eat them as they came how about turning them into fish cakes?

HaslandMum21 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:49:06

Thanks for all the replies, tips and ideas.

Nope, no supplements yet. The GP wants to see how we get on with increasing the iron in his diet so I've got lots of good ideas from you lovely lot to try now. And we'll finish every meal with a satsuma!

AprilLoveJ Sun 03-Jul-16 13:09:11

Just to say liver is a great idea as chocked full of nutrients, but don't overdo it or you can end up with too much vitamin A (can cause hair loss amongst other things.) Once a week is usually recommended. Use other sources the rest of the week.

I don't recommend Guinness. Even tiny amounts of alcohol can be detrimental to thyroid and endocrine system. You don't really need to cause that trouble for the sake of a little iron when there are so many other good sources.

Hope you get on okay with little one op.

PeaceOfWildThings Sun 03-Jul-16 13:11:30

Chicken liver pate on toast, or made into a dip with some passata or avocado, served with bread sticks.

OlennasWimple Sun 03-Jul-16 13:15:31

Steak? (Cut up small)

Fortified cereals?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now