Talk

Advanced search

Need ideas for a birthday lunch

(12 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Wed 22-Jun-16 08:16:46

My birthday lunch actually smile But I've optimistically said I'll provide the food and booze for 6 adults and a baby (no booze for him obviously!). Food needs to be veggie and gluten free to fit everyone's needs and I'm struggling for inspiration.

So far I've thought maybe high tea type sandwiches (but then gluten free bread is a bit dire), perhaps a savoury tart (but again GF pastry is hard) aaaand then I pretty much give up. Lunch is this weekend coming, can anyone help with some ideas pretty please??

dementedpixie Wed 22-Jun-16 08:22:01

Go out somewhere instead and save yourself the hassle of trying to come up with something to suit everyone?

dementedpixie Wed 22-Jun-16 08:22:46

Something rice or potato based? Veggie chilli?

dementedpixie Wed 22-Jun-16 08:23:33

Baked potato with choice of toppings so can have meat or veggie options?

CaptainWarbeck Wed 22-Jun-16 08:26:01

I would demented but it's not worth the hassle of dealing with the baby throwing food over the floor and generally being incredibly noisy (baby is mine).

whois Thu 23-Jun-16 11:04:05

How about a nice summer soup + cheese and antipasti board? With some chunky bread and lots of GF crackers?

Allalonenow Thu 23-Jun-16 11:19:19

How about a Spanish theme, olives, crudities with cheesy dips to start with a couple of different sherries, then gazpacho, then vegetarian paella, then finish with something like oranges in cointreau, or peaches in sweet white wine.
Very summery and most of it can be done ahead of time.

newlabelwriter Thu 23-Jun-16 11:40:10

Look at the Ottolenghi website - lots of ideas on there.

BrieAndChilli Thu 23-Jun-16 11:45:01

Roast chicken, quiche (some sort of crust less quiche???), new potatoes, salad, cheeses, pickles, roasted peppers, garlic mushrooms, etc?

Vegetable tangine with couscous (could add chicken breasts or spicy sausages on the side for non veggies)

Chilli with corn tortillas (are they gluten free???!!)

daftbesom Thu 23-Jun-16 11:51:22

Assuming you don't want to spend too much time cooking, howabout a vegetable frittata? Basically a baked omelette with loads of veg in it. Or you can think of it as a crustless quiche.) I start mine off in a cast iron frying -pan on the hob, and when the underside is done I bung it under the grill and it puffs up beautifully. I steam the veg beforehand so it's pretty much cooked before it goes into the omelette. My faves to include are onions, mushrooms, red pepper and green beans or broccoli. ) Can be as delicious as you want. I always have bread with mine but it's not essential, you can include (cooked!) potatoes in the omelette.

Or a posh risotto.

CaptainWarbeck Thu 23-Jun-16 12:23:33

Like the idea of an antipasti board, that could definitely work.

And DH does a good Spanish tortilla, it's just eggs, potatoes and onion, although we could jazz it up with stone other veg too, frittata-style. Risotto balls could be good too.

Might get a massive stinky oozy cheese too grin

These ideas are all great. Any more, keep them coming please, I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere!

CaptainWarbeck Thu 23-Jun-16 12:24:42

Stone? *some

Stone veg sound awful confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now