Talk

Advanced search

Siemens induction hob, and ring sizes

(6 Posts)
VermicularCanister Fri 17-Jun-16 13:30:12

We are having our kitchen re-done, and the supplier recommends a Siemens induction hob.

Does anyone have one, and if so, are you happy with it or does it have any significant drawbacks?

The one on the quote (EH611BA18E) has two small rings and two large ones (14.5cm and 18cm). For about an extra 50 quid we can upgrade to the EH631BE18E which has a larger 21cm ring replacing one of the small ones.

I'm completely new to induction cooking, but from what I can gather, we can use smaller pans on larger rings, but only up to a point (do they not recognise the pan if it's too much smaller than the ring?) And for a larger pan on a smaller ring, then only the centre of the pan will be heated, but presumably heat will transfer to the edges? Or will we have to keep moving things around to cook them evenly? Our frying pan and stock pot are 22cm.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Statelychangers Fri 17-Jun-16 22:58:46

advantages for us are - safe, easily cleaned - unless you have grease on the outside of a saucepan and it transfers to the glass, with the right pan instant heat.
disadvantages - glass has chipped, small pans often only work on small rings - these kind of pans are not good conductors. Pans that claim to be induction friendly are often very poor conductors...so therefore don't heat up quickly. Range of cookware is limited.

I wouldn't say I love mine, don't hate it either - I have a gas ring too and the heat from that is still superior, but we got induction because we want the dcs to learn to cook - open flame was a risk I didn't want to take.

CaitAgusMadra Sun 19-Jun-16 09:57:24

I have a Siemens hob and I love it. I use the set of saucepans that came with the hob and have never had issues with uneven heating etc. I haven't measured the ring sizes but we have one small, 2 medium and 1 large ring and it's more than adequate for me. I cook a lot.

We have had the hob 6 years and it's not chipped or scratched and I'm not overly precious with it. Love the safety aspect as have 2 young kids and DS1 loves to help me cook

NeckguardUnbespoke Sun 19-Jun-16 10:01:19

I've got one of the Siemens flexduction hobs which doesn't have rings at all, just big "zones" which figure out what pans you have on them. Works very well with everything from small milk pans to large cast iron griddles which cover the whole hob.

VermicularCanister Sun 19-Jun-16 21:05:29

Thanks all for your replies. CaitAgusMadra yours sounds v similar to the one we are considering, with small/medium (x2) and large rings. Glad to hear you are happy with it!

The flexinduction ones look great, but more pricey than the ones with defined rings.

I think as long as the largest ring is large enough (which I had my doubts about on the model with 2 small and 2 medium), that will be OK for us.

Thanks all for the helpful advice! Now just got to find some pans.

Ntinyn Sun 03-Jul-16 10:21:21

Hi, sorry came to this a couple of weeks late but looking at 60cm Siemens induction hobs right now and didn't want to start new thread. Can I ask what kind of control panel you have? I'm trying to decide between a simple control panel and a touch slider one (more expensive but wondering if it's worth it?)

Also wanted to have one flex zone but reading your post neckguard, wondering if we should opt for full flex zones.... Can you literally put a large pan across two different zones?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now