Talk

Advanced search

Give me your best fish pie recipe!

(12 Posts)
overthehillandroundthemountain Wed 15-Jun-16 16:58:56

I have fish, mashed potato, cheese sauce and broccoli.

What do I do, and what shall I add?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 15-Jun-16 17:06:44

my fish pie is

get a big dish
put in peas (i guess small broccoli florets would work)
throw over chunks of fish
add in quartered boiled eggs
snip over some chives
cover with a really really thick creamy white sauce (add a scrape of freshly grated nutmeg and a generous sploosh of vermouth to the roux, also use at least 50/50 double cream/milk
slather the lot with buttery smooth mash and then into the oven until the mash is golden and toasty

prawns are nice too if you have any...tbh i tend to ransack the freezer and use any random fishy bits i have....smoked salmon/prawns/crab meat

overthehillandroundthemountain Wed 15-Jun-16 17:09:41

Brilliant! Gets head out of freezer: found prawns, smoked haddock...will add. Ooh yes, nutmeg. Mmmmmm. Will go and pick chives. Yay! Thank you!

Flumpnugget Wed 15-Jun-16 17:11:23

In a pan, sieve some flour, add to butter and cheese and whisk whilst heating til smoothish. (Add milk if mixture too thick)

Grab some onion (spring onion is best) and fry in the mix.

Add a dollop of mustard.

Gently fry up all of the fish mix on a medium heat in the sauce.

Transfer to a deep dish for the oven. Throw in a handful of peas, and some sweet corn.

Add the mash on top, with a bit more grated cheese.

Cook til looking brown on top and mixture bubbling.

donkir Wed 15-Jun-16 17:16:02

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303636/family-meals-easy-fish-pie
Super easy fish pie. It tastes scrummy.

BluebellTheDonkey Wed 15-Jun-16 17:25:26

I always follow Delia's fish pie recipe, but without the capers. It is a right faff so I don't make it very often, but its super yummy!
Oh and I always do more mash, she's really stingy with her quantities! (Or we're just greedywink)

overthehillandroundthemountain Wed 15-Jun-16 17:28:36

I have made Delia's and the BBC ones, but not for years and years! Thank you for the reminder. Have a mahhooooosive thing of mash, Bluebell - agree cannot have enough! Mmmm mustard...just added...

Keep them coming!

waitingforsomething Thu 16-Jun-16 01:59:12

Fish in bottom of fish. Fry onions and garlic till soft, add of tub of creme fraiche, a handful of geated cheese, a teaspoon of english mustard. Pour over fish. Add a layer of wilted spinach and peas. Mash potatoes over the top- creamy with a bit of nutmeg. Well loved by all in my house

TwinsplusAnotherTwo Sun 19-Jun-16 23:04:18

Jamie's recipe - I mix the fish types around but stick to the recipe otherwise and it always is amazing! Don't miss out the lemon juice.

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie/#kbpyax57w959HvOE.97

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 22-Jun-16 11:24:49

A good mix of fish inc. some smoked haddock and prawns, in a tasty parsley sauce, covered with lots of good mash, and topped with PLENTY of grated mature Cheddar. Fish pie is no good to me without nicely browned cheesy mash on top.
I poach all the fish gently in milk, and then use that milk to make the sauce.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 29-Jun-16 15:38:15

I generally scour out the freezer for leftover odd portions of fish, ideally a white fish, a smoked fish and some salmon. Chuck in a pan, cover with milk, simmer for 20 minutes or so. Remove fish, deskin, chunk. Use fishy milk with butter and flour to make a sauce. Bung in frozen peas, cover the whole lot with mash. Whack in the oven until brown.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Thu 30-Jun-16 13:38:46

Poach 'yellow', 'pink' and white fish in milk until just translucent with a bay leaf.
Remove fish, thicken milk with slaked cornflour and mustard.
put in shallow dish with fish and some thawed, cooked prawns.
Top with creamed mash (philly in mash is lovely), cover with grated cheese, grill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now