Talk

Advanced search

2yo snacking on pine nuts- is there a downside?!

(11 Posts)
JuniorMint Wed 15-Jun-16 14:59:05

My 2yo DD has recently become obsessed with pine nuts... I was having some and she asked for some and now she asks for them all the time. I know they shouldn't have whole nuts due to choking hazard like peanuts etc but pine nuts are so tiny I think they're ok?
She likes snacking on cheese, breadsticks, toast etc but I worry about the salt levels in those, similarly biscuits and even fruit- the sugar levels. But pine nuts are not salted or sugary. They are slightly high in fat I suppose, but good fats which a toddler needs.
So is there any need to limit pine nut consumption in a 2yo?!

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 15-Jun-16 16:38:09

You have already mentioned it; I would be really worried about choking. I know they are small, but if she has a dry throat and some get stuck, the next couple of them could clog up. May be not, but it is better to be safe than sorry in my view.

peaceloveandtwirlywoos Wed 15-Jun-16 17:08:33

About the same size as peas and sweetcorn though, aren't they? As long as you're watching and know what to do if she chokes (which she could do on any food, really)

Elllicam Wed 15-Jun-16 17:10:42

My toddler likes them too. Just remember to keep them in the fridge to avoid pine nut mouth sad I had it once from off pine nuts yuck.

Floggingmolly Wed 15-Jun-16 17:12:24

What's pine nut mouth?

SarahAnderson Wed 15-Jun-16 17:40:42

They're tiny, much smaller than either peas or sweetcorn. I wouldn't worry about choking. (Well, not more than any food at all)

AddToBasket Wed 15-Jun-16 17:42:00

Yes, pine nut mouth is awful! Things will start to taste funny, not nice and it lasts a while

BluePitchFork Wed 15-Jun-16 17:42:05

a downside is that they are really expensive...

Shemozzle Wed 15-Jun-16 17:45:21

The only downside I can see is the cost.

I've not heard of pine nut mouth but I have read and discovered that pesto past its best can leave a funny after taste in your mouth. My daughter often complains of everything tasting like bitter lemon and I finally realised it was down to eating pesto. I'm assuming it comes from the off pine nuts.

Footle Wed 15-Jun-16 17:46:23

Pine-nut mouth is horrible. Comes of eating them past their use-by date, and gives everything a strong metallic taste for several days.

JuniorMint Wed 15-Jun-16 18:17:21

Wow I haven't heard of pine nut mouth and I eat A LOT of them! (Low carby veggie here so sprinkle them on everything...) Yes the cost is a downside! I am not too concerned about choking due to the size. So they don't contain too high amounts of anything a toddler shouldn't have?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now