Talk

Advanced search

If you eat dinner with your kids...

(10 Posts)
TwinsplusAnotherTwo Tue 14-Jun-16 13:02:57

...what do you eat?

I'm stuck in a rut and need inspiration. My kids are still young (youngest are two). They eat the usual stuff and are average in terms of fussiness for their ages - quite good on flavours but I have one who is not good on veg. I would like to expand our repertoire as, quite frankly, I'm bored of it!

Inspire me with your family meals please!

TeaBelle Tue 14-Jun-16 13:09:04

Dd (19m) loves pasta with tomato sauce and meatballs, chicken and mushroom risotto, sausagey pasta, fajitas, fishcakes, salmon fillets, pulled pork and jacket potatoes and homemade pizza in a wrap or bagel

RiverTam Tue 14-Jun-16 13:15:05

We eat veggie for family meals (DH and 6yo DD are veggie), DD is quite fussy. This is what we have, on rotation:

Veggie spag Bol
Pesto pasta
Pasta with veg/tomato sauce
Broccoli and pine nut pasta
Veggie lasagne
Curry
Tomato risotto
Pea risotto
Soup (celery, pea, butternut squash)
Veggie sausages/veggie fingers
Tarts
Jacket potatoes
Veggie chilli
Beans/cheese/scrambled egg on toast
Stew

I get bored of this too!

TwinsplusAnotherTwo Tue 14-Jun-16 13:33:30

Ooh, any recipes you particularly like for veggie curries? My kids quite like curry, I would like them to eat more veggie stuff too.

RiverTam Tue 14-Jun-16 13:38:26

I do variations on this Jamie one. Use all the spices, but not the fresh chillis, and I use a can of tomatoes not fresh. The veg I use are cauliflower, peas, sweet potato, carrots, potatoes, though not all at once!

BabyGanoush Tue 14-Jun-16 13:39:06

Faves here are:

Oven baked salmon, potato wedges or new pots, veg (can be peas for kids and salad for us)

mild chilli con carne, rice, taco's/tortilla chips, salsa, grated cheese etc.

lasagna (with salad for adults, crudités for kids)

Chicken and veg stirfry (for kids separate chicken and veg) and rice

Home made Vegetable soup (fry a bit of onion and garlic, add chopped chunks of courgette and broccoli, after 10 minutes blitz it and add a bit of milk/cream) and ham/cheese toasties

Lentil soup with potato and smoked sausage in it

omelette (for adults add cheese/onion/veg/herbs) and chips and salad

PurpleRibbons Tue 14-Jun-16 13:44:50

Our favourites are:
Carrot and lentil soup
Cauliflower and lentil curry
Cauliflower and/or broccoli in cheese sauce
Veggie sausages, mash and veg
Spag bol
Lasagne with sweet potato wedges
Sweet potato and peanut curry
Jacket potatoes with chilli
Boiled egg and soldiers
Frittata
Chick pea, butternut squash and coconut curry.
Spinach and ricotta tortellini (the fresh shop bought ones) with tomato sauce.
Pasta with pesto and veg

I'm going to look out for new ideas on this thread too!

raisedbyguineapigs Tue 14-Jun-16 13:45:32

My kids favourite food is dhal and rice, so if they like curry, they would probably like that.
Boil some red and/ or yellow lentils just covered in water with some turmeric until they are soft
Meanwhile, fry some onions, cumin and garam masala in a frying pan. When the lentils are cooked and there is not much water left, chuck the onions in. Then add salt to taste. Serve with boiled rice. Done. ( I hope-thats what I do but maybe my lot are used to my terrible cooking grin ) You could add a bit of chilli if you like, but mine like it just like that and they moan if anything is even a tiny bit spicy!

TwinsplusAnotherTwo Tue 14-Jun-16 14:10:17

Thanks raisedby, I sometimes make dhal when we have curry and they are ok with it, but they all prefer a chickpea curry!

Some good ideas on here, thanks all, hope more ideas will keep coming!

ChubbyMummy12 Sat 18-Jun-16 22:11:37

Spag Bol
Macaroni cheese
Pasta bake
Sausage, mash, peas & gravy
Shepards pie
Curry
Fresh fish & new potatoes
Home made Kieves
Gammon egg & chips
Lasagne
Stew
Fish fingers chips & beansgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now