Talk

Advanced search

What to do with frozen blackcurrants -Jam?

(13 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Sun 12-Jun-16 12:57:13

I've got loads of frozen blackcurrants and I'm not sure what to do with them... I was going to make jam with them but can't seem to find anything that gives me the right quantities... any ideas?

DelphiniumBlue Sun 12-Jun-16 13:03:10

Blackcurrant sorbet is delicious and easy, you just need a freezer!

cdtaylornats Sun 12-Jun-16 13:03:18

Summer pudding
Blackcurrant fool
Sorbet
Smoothies
Jam www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/711653/summer-berry-jam

Venison with blackcurrant sauce also works with game birds duck/grouse/pigeon or swan if you are a certain 90 year old

www.cooked.com/uk/Leiths-School-of-Food-and-Wine/Quadrille-Publishing/Leiths-How-to-Cook/Meat/Venison-steaks-with-blackcurrant-sauce-recipe

Thingvellir Sun 12-Jun-16 13:10:12

I came on to say smoothies but cdtaylor beat me to it!

Allalonenow Sun 12-Jun-16 13:17:08

Brown sugar and a knob of butter in a small pan, melt gently, add fruit, stir till softened, add a splash of creme cassis, pour over vanilla icecream or lemon sorbet.

ErgonomicallyUnsound Tue 14-Jun-16 11:09:50

Don't waste them on jam!!!!!

We have loads in the freezer every year as we grow lots and go to PYO. My DC are blackcurrant fiends so I use them in puddings. DH and DSs fave is blackcurrant pie, which is divine but very strong! I use a handful in with apple crumbles and pies, and also found a few years ago a gorgeous recipe for a pistachio and blackcurrant tart in the Sainsburys magazine.

They also go well in cakes, muffins, cupcakes. Or cooked slowly with some sugar as a compote to serve with plain yoghurt, vanilla ice cream etc.

tb Sat 18-Jun-16 13:12:18

Make kir with them - saw a recipe - but can't remember where that used some sugar, blackcurrants and a bottle of red wine.

Then you can make kir - with white wine or kir royale with sparkling wine.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 18-Jun-16 13:31:01

Did somebody mention Summer Pudding???
I'll be right round... smile

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 20-Jun-16 17:02:41

Clafoutis

FlukeSkyeRunner Sat 25-Jun-16 09:36:43

Ice cream. Summer the blackcurants with some sugar until it reduces a bit. Cool. Whisk a can of condensed milk with double cream (the quantity isn't critical - I used 600ml last time). Put half of the condensed milk/cream in a freezer proof box, then the blackcurrant compote then top with remaining condensed milk/cream and fold it all together to make a ripply effect. Freeze. The condenses milk prevents it from crystalising so no need to beat during freezing. Yum. You can also add a ripe banana to the condensed milk and cream before whisking if you like. Makes it a little lighter and equally as yummy.

PreAdvent13610 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:45:54

Handful of frozen black currants straight into little saucepan, add Pimm's, brandy, gin, whatever, just a tablespoon, bring to boil. Add to porridge, pour over ice cream.

Defrost in microwave, plonk a few handfuls in bottom of gratin dish with a slash of alcohol, add basic cake batter on top, bake for a perfect pudding.

Overated Sat 02-Jul-16 18:49:32

Cheesecake, yum.

mayhew Sat 02-Jul-16 19:37:56

Add to vodka with some sugar and shake the bottle every day for a month. Also works with gin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now