Flour mites ?

(10 Posts)
snowgirl29 Thu 09-Jun-16 23:56:04

DD packed the shopping away earlier. I don't know why but she put the eggs in a cupboard I hardly use that doesn't have much in. I went to get them out earlier to make the cake for her school 1920s party tomorrow. They were inside the egg carton confused

I rescued two of the eggs but do I run the risk of poisoning / killing her school mates if I use them in the cake?

cdtaylornats Fri 10-Jun-16 06:55:08

Do you mean the flour mites were inside the egg carton?

If so you are perfectly ok to use the eggs, the mites wont get through the shell. You might want to sift any flour you are using though.

CaitAgusMadra Fri 10-Jun-16 07:42:18

Eggs will be totally fine, just wash them to make sure no mites fall in

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 10-Jun-16 11:32:13

Unless you are vegetarian I don't think you need to worry too much about a few flour mites (do you mean weevils?) unless they are all though your flour which could have an effect on the protein levels.

HuevosRancheros Fri 10-Jun-16 19:21:12

As pp have said, the eggs will be fine, but do check all flour in that cupboard now....

snowgirl29 Fri 10-Jun-16 20:19:09

Thankyou for your advice.

Yes DD had put egg carton in the cupboard and they were having ginormous fun all over my egg box come later on that evening when I took the eggs out. Thankyou for your advice all.

hedwig2001 Fri 10-Jun-16 20:33:33

I had a big flour weevil infestation in our food cupboard. They seem to like anything in cardboard. After clearing everything out, I now keep flour in plastic bags in the freezer. Nothing can hatch out!

Drinksforeveryone Sat 11-Jun-16 15:09:04

Yes - you might want to check all dried products in that and the nearby cupboards.

I once found some in the flour - very small creatures but the flour was 'moving'.

i threw everything out - and now store flour, sugar etc in glass jars or tupperware tubs.

I doubt that they are harmful, but it's a bit icky..

snowgirl29 Sat 11-Jun-16 15:52:03

Re the freezer trick. <dons the asks a stupid question hat>.

Do you just put the bags of flour in the freezer first to kill them all?

Other bag of flour was sealed and hasn't been undone so assume they're okay to keep? x

HuevosRancheros Sat 11-Jun-16 19:40:57

I would open the other bag to check it, then wrap well in a plastic bag.

I only threw the infested bag away once, didn't bother going through everything, gave them loads of time to multiply! sad angry Thry seem to be able to get through apparently well-sealed paper bags..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now